Children of America Glen Allen, LLC
2501 Old Brick Road
Glen allen, VA 23060
Current Inspector: Florence Martus (804) 662-9772
Complaint Related: No
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-A Description: Based on a review of documentation and interview on 08/08/2019, the center did not ensure that when staff are supervising children, they shall always ensure their care and protection.
1) During interviews, staff reported that on 07/08/2019, Child #1 (two-year-old), who has a diagnosed food allergy to wheat and eggs, was in the care of Staff #1, Staff #2, and Staff #3. At approximately 3:00pm, Child #1 was served saltine crackers, cheese, and water as a snack.
2) In a written statement dated 07/08/2019, Staff #2 wrote: ?[Staff #1] asked me who could not have the SunButter and wheat bread [sic] I said [Child #1] can not [sic] her snack is in the cabinet. [Staff #1] pointed out cheese and saltine crackers on the counter and I said that is for the cooking project [sic] but she can have the cheese and her crackers are in the cabinet. Once I realized [Staff #1] gave her the saltine crackers and cheese [sic] she ate it and at 3:30pm [Staff #1] left the room. I called mom around 3:45pm because [Child #1] was crying and speaking with [Staff #3] about how she was feeling.?
3) During interview, Staff #4 reported she administered an epi-pen to Child #1 at approximately 3:45pm after she was notified by another staff member that Child #1 was served wheat and she was having an allergic reaction. Staff #4 reported 911 was contacted after the epi-pen was administered. Shortly after, emergency personnel arrived at the center and administered Benadryl. Child #1's parent arrived shortly after and transported Child #1 to a pediatric urgent care facility for further examination.
4) The licensing inspector reviewed the list of ingredients listed for the saltine crackers that Child #1 was served on 07/08/2019. The list of ingredients indicate that the crackers contain wheat.
5) The staff interviewed reported that Staff #1, Staff #2, and Staff #3 were aware of Child #1?s diagnosed food allergies at the time of the incident. A list of Child #1's allergies was available in the Two's classroom and to all staff on 07/08/2019.
Plan of Correction: Per the Center: "All staff has been retrained on how to read an allergy list. The location of the allergy list and protocol on what to do if a child is given an allergen. Staff #1 and Staff #2 were terminated immediately. All children with an epi-pen have enlarged pictures located in their classroom backed on red paper to ensure every staff member knows who has an allergy with an epi-pen."
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.