KinderCare Learning Center #874
5680 Oak Leather Drive
Burke, VA 22015
Current Inspector: Mahrukh Aziz (571) 835-4718
Inspection Date: Sept. 6, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
- Technical Assistance:
Technical Assistance was offered regarding the following: Children's records, Staff records, Play area, Materials for classrooms.
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted from 10:00 am-2:45 pm. 44 children were in care with 11 staff members present. Children were observed during circle time, playing outdoors, getting diapered and hand washing. The children were also observed learning how to spell their names, recognize colors and identify sight words. 6 staff and 6 children's records, medications and other documents were reviewed. Areas of non-compliance are identified in the violation notice. Please contact me if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 571-835-4718.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-130-A Description: Based on record review, the center did not obtain immunization records for a child before the first date of enrollment.
Evidence: Child # 2's first day of enrollment was 3/11/19. Child # 2's record did not have immunization records on file.
Plan of Correction: We will ask the parents to bring in complete immunization records.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-130-B Description: Based on record review, the center did not obtain additional immunization records for children under the age of 2, every 6 months.
Evidence: The most recent immunization records obtained for Child # 4 were dated 7/25/18. Additional immunization records were not obtained after that date.
Plan of Correction: We will ask the parents to bring in updated immunization records.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-140-A Description: Based on records review, the center did not obtain documentation of a physical exam for children within 30 days of enrollment.
1. Child # 1's first day of enrollment was 4/7/19.
2. Child # 2's first day of enrollment was 3/11/19.
3. Physicals were not obtained for both children within 30 days of enrollment.
Plan of Correction: We will ask the parents to bring in copies of the children's physicals.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-160-C Description: Based on record review, the center did not obtain subsequent Tuberculosis (TB) screenings every two years for employees.
1. Staff # 1's most recent TB screening expired on 2/27/19. An updated TB screening was not obtained for Staff # 1.
2. Staff # 2's most recent TB screening expired on 4/2/18. An updated TB screening was not obtained for Staff # 2.
3.Staff # 3's most recent TB screening expired on 8/19/18. An updated TB screening was not obtained for Staff # 3.
Plan of Correction: We will obtain updated TB's as soon as possible.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-60-A Description: Based on record review, the center did not maintain complete records for children enrolled.
1. Child # 1's records was missing the documentation that the center had viewed a proof of identification.
2. Child # 3 and Child # 4's records were not updated annually. Child # 3's record was last updated on 8/9/18. Child # 4's record was last updated on 7/29/18.
Plan of Correction: We will obtain the proof of ID and document. Children's records will be updated annually and recorded.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-90--A Description: Based on record review, children's record did not include the parent agreements by the child's first day of enrollment.
1. Child # 1's first day of enrollment was 8/9/17.
2. Child # 2's first day of enrollment was 3/11/19.
3. Both children's records did not include the parent agreement which included the following three components: Notification of communicable diseases, children's illness and pick up, and authorization of emergency medical care for children.
Plan of Correction: We will obtain the parent authorizations from the parents.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-270-A Description: Based on observation, equipment inside and outside the center was not maintained in a safe and operable condition.
1. In the 2's classroom, the bin in the home living sink was broken posing an injury hazard for the children.
2. On the big playground, there was table against the wall for which the top layer was cracked, posing an injury hazard for the children.
Plan of Correction: The bin was replaced during the inspection. The table will be removed from the playground.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-330-B Description: Based on observation, the center did not maintain resilient surfacing on the playground around the fall zones.
1. On the small playground, there was not enough mulch on the ground at the end of the slide. The dirt under the mulch was visible.
2. On the big playground, there was not enough mulch at the end of two slides, and the dirt under the mulch was visible.
Plan of Correction: A work order will be placed and followed up with. In the meantime, the mulch will be raked and redistributed around the playground.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-D Description: Based on observation and record review, there was not at least one staff person in each group that was qualified to be a program leader.
1. In the 2's classroom, there were two staff members present. There was no documentation to show that either one of the two staff were qualified to be a lead teacher.
1. In the Preschool classroom, there were two staff members present. Both staff member's records did not have documentation to show that they were qualified to be program leaders.
Plan of Correction: We will provide the appropriate training to qualify the staff.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-510-C Description: Based on record review, the center did not obtain written authorization for a long term medication from the child's physician.
Evidence: There was a long term emergency allergy medication for Child # 5 in the 2's classroom. Written authorization for the medication was not obtained from the physician.
Plan of Correction: We will ask the parent to get the physician'a authorization.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. Eligible child care facilities must be fully licensed, licensed exempt and a VDSS subsidy vendor, or a voluntary registered day home and a VDSS subsidy vendor. Only programs enrolled in Virginia Quality will display a rating. Virginia Quality contact information for your region is available at the following link Regional Contacts.