KinderCare Learning Center - Fox Chase
2900 Fox Chase Lane
Midlothian, VA 23112
Current Inspector: Kandra Brown (804) 662-9038
Inspection Date: Aug. 20, 2019 and Aug. 29, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
32.1 Report by person other than physician
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
The licensing inspector conducted an unannounced inspection on Tuesday, August 20, 2019, in response to a self-reported incident that the Department received on August 12, 2019 regarding inadequate supervision. The inspector was on site at the center on August 20, 2019 from 9:00am to 3:40pm. Interviews with staff were completed, observations were made in the center, and documentation was reviewed. The inspector completed an additional interview on August 29, 2019.
The preponderance of the evidence gathered during the investigation validates the self-reported incident of inadequate supervision. Violations were cited regarding supervision, care and protection, and center policies. See the violation notice for more details.
If you have any questions about this inspection, please contact the licensing inspector at (804) 662-9038.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-40-E Description: Based on documentation review and interviews, the center did not maintain compliance with their own policies and procedures required by standards.
The center's policies and procedures regarding supervision were not followed on August 12, 2019 when Teacher #1 and Teacher #2 did not have 2-year old, child #1, within sight and sound supervision and discovered that the child was left on the playground alone. The center?s policies and procedures for supervision of children states that "All individual and or groups of children must be supervised at all times while in our care", "Children must not be left alone or unsupervised in classrooms, hallways, offices, lobbies, bathrooms, playgrounds, or vehicles.? These policies and procedures were not followed during the above described incident on August 12, 2019.
Plan of Correction: All staff will be retrained on KCE policies on supervision and transitions. Management will continue to monitor and work with the classrooms on transition on and off the playground. Classroom will get management prior to transitioning to observed the transition to the playground daily Administrative actions will be take[n] if any staff continue to not follow our supervision standards.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-A Description: Based on observation and interviews, the center did not ensure staff ensure the care, protection and guidance of all children when supervising children.
Interviews with Teacher #1 and Teacher #2 revealed the following:
1. On August 12, 2019, 2-year old Child #1, was left alone unsupervised on the playground for an estimated one minute.
2. The school age students regularly distract the children by tapping and talking through the window while the 2-year old children pass by on the playground. On August 12, 2019, a student at the school age classroom?s window distracted child #1 from following Teacher #2. Teacher #2 saw Child #1 stop at the window and once stated, ?Come on [Child #1]?, but did not verify that Child #1 actually followed them when exiting the playground area.
3. Child #2 often runs away when the 2-year old children are transitioning from the playground to the classroom. On August 12, 2018, Child #2 ran away from the group and into the larger playground area while the class was transitioning from the playground to the room. Teacher #2 stopped to get Child #2 while Teacher #1 continued to the classroom with the majority of the other children. After getting Child #2, Teacher #2 did not ensure that she had any remaining children with her before continuing to the classroom.
4. The 2-year old children pass through two gates when transitioning to and from the playground. Per interviews, attendance is to be checked at each gate and the classroom door during transitions to and from the playground, but attendance was not checked when the children passed through the second gate on August 12, 2019.
Plan of Correction: Management will continue to monitor and work with classroom transitions on and off the playground. Teacher and Center management will review the licensing standards regarding supervision within sight and sound. Management will continue to have conversations with staff around the importance of compliance and supervision safety. Administrative actions will be taken if any staff continue to not follow our supervision standards.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-F Description: Based on observation and interviews, the center did not ensure that children under 10 years of age were always within actual sight and sound supervision of staff.
1. While transitioning the 2-year old children from the playground through the back door of the classroom on August 12, 2019, Teacher #1 noticed that 2-year old, child #1 was being escorted by a school age student through the front of the classroom. Teacher #1 thought child #1 was with Teacher #2 towards the back of the line and was confused as to why child #1 would be entering the classroom with another student through the front of the classroom. Teacher #1 stated that they were confused because child #1 was last seen walking outside with Teacher #2 towards the classroom from the playground. Teacher #1 stated that child #1 was out of their supervision for about 30 to 45 seconds.
2. Teacher #3 stated that while looking through the classroom window, child #1?s sibling, a school aged child, noticed child #1 outside on the playground alone. Teacher #3 took over supervision of child #1 and stated that they did not see any teachers on the playground at that time. Teacher #3 sent a school age child to escort child #1 across the hall to the 2-year old classroom.
3. Teacher #2 stated that they had child #1 under their supervision while transitioning from the playground. While walking towards the back door of the classroom, another 2-year old child (child #2) ran back to the playground. Teacher #2 went to redirect child #2. During that time, Teacher #2 noticed child #1 went back to the school age window. Teacher #2 also noticed child #1?s school age sibling screaming child # 1?s name and banging on the inside of the window. Teacher #1 stated that they walked around the side of the building through the side gate and thought child #1 was following behind. Teacher #2 also stated that child #1 was out of their supervision for about one minute.
Plan of Correction: Teacher and Center management will review the licensing regarding supervision within sight and sound. Additional resources will be given to staff to help with classroom management and systems to support supervision in younger age groups. Management will continue to have conversations with staff around the importance of compliance and supervision safety. All new staff coming in will observed supervision and transition activities in classrooms prior to being in ratio.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.