Boys & Girls Club of Waynesboro, Staunton & Augusta -Waynesboro
302 E. Main Street
Waynesboro, VA 22980
Current Inspector: Julie R. Kunowsky (540) 430-9256
Inspection Date: Sept. 24, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
22VAC40-80 HEARINGS PROCEDURES.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
32.1 Report by person other than physician
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
63.2 Facilities & Programs.
Thank you for your assistance during this unannounced monitoring inspection. This on-site visit was conducted on September 24, 2019 from 2:00 p.m. through 5:00 p.m. There were sixty-seven children in the care of seven staff. The medication and medication paperwork was reviewed for one child. Eight children records and eleven staff records were reviewed and updated. Four board officer records were also reviewed. Areas of non-compliance may be found on the violation notice.
Areas observed were: arrival, outside play, hand washing/bathroom procedures, snack, homework, and educational activities. Interactions between the children and staff were observed as appropriate and the children seemed comfortable with their daily routine and schedule.
Please complete you plan of correction and return to the licensing inspector within five business days.
If you have any questions and/or if I may be of assistance with licensing standards please contact me at 540-430-9256.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-160-A Description: Based on record review, the center failed to obtain a tuberculosis screening for one staff member within 21 days of employment. This is a repeat violation
Evidence: 1. Eighteen staff records were reviewed. 2. Staff #2 first date of hire was documented as 09/22/2018. 3. There was no documentation of obtaining a tuberculosis screening with in 21 days of employment. 3. The director confirmed the tuberculosis screening was missing.
Plan of Correction: Fingerprint appointment and proof of notarized Central Registry Reports will be provided for newly elected board officers.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-160-C Description: Based on record review, the center failed to obtain updated tuberculosis screenings for one staff member. This is a repeat violation.
Evidence: 1. Fifteen staff record were reviewed. 2. Staff #1 had not obtained an updated tuberculosis screening. 3. Documentation of tuberculosis screening for Staff #1 was dated 06/12/2015. 4. The director confirmed the updated tuberculosis screening had not been obtained.
Plan of Correction: Documentation of updated TB screenings will be provided for Staff #1.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-60-A Description: Based on record review, the center failed to document the first date of attendance for four out of eight records reviewed.
1. Eight children records were reviewed. 2. Child # 3, 4, 5, and 8 did not have documentation of the first day of attendance. 3. The site director confirmed documentation of the first day of attendance was missing.
Based on documentation review, the center failed to obtain and document the physical address of two emergency contacts for one child.
1. Eight staff records were reviewed. 2. Child #3 did not have documentation of a physical address for two emergency contacts. 3. The site director confirmed the physical address was missing.
Plan of Correction: Fingerprint appointment email confirmations and proof of notarized Central Registry Reports will be provided for newly elected board officers
Standard #: 22VAC40-191-40-D-1-A Description: Based on the record review of two board officers and confirmation from the Director, the center failed to obtain a completed Sworn Statement or a Search of the Central Registry for two of the board officers.
1. The record for Board Officer B and the record for Board Officer D did not contain a completed Sworn Statement or a completed Search of the Central Registry. Both board officers began serving on 06/27/2019.
2. The Director confirmed that neither of the board officers had completed a Sworn Statement or a request for a Search of the Central Registry.
Plan of Correction: TB screenings will be obtained within 21 days for all new hires. Documentation of TB screening for Staff #2 will be provided.
Standard #: 63.2(17)-1721.1-B-2 Description: Based on the record review and confirmation from the Director, the center failed to obtain a National Criminal History Check for two board officers and one agent and failed to obtain a National Criminal History Check for two board officers before the officers began serving.
1. The record for Board Officer A contained the results of a Virginia State Police Criminal record check dated 07/11/2017. The record for Board Officer C contained the results of a Virginia State Police Criminal record check dated 10/24/2017. The record for the agent listed on the application contained the results of a Virginia Police Criminal record check dated 09/24/2017. National Criminal History Checks were to be obtained by September 20, 2018.
2. The record for Board Officer B and D did not contain the results of a National Criminal History Check. Board Officer B began serving on .
3. The Director confirmed that the National Criminal History Check was late for Board Officer A and C and the National Criminal History Check for Board Officer C and D had not been requested.
4. The Director stated he had told administration National Criminal Record Checks were needed for new officers, however, he was not in attendance of the board of director meetings. The director stated he did not know the date(s) the newly elected officers were appointed to serve on the board.
Plan of Correction: The first date of will be documented for Child #3, #4, #5 and #8. The physical address of two emergency contact for Child #3 will be documented.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.