KinderCare Learning Center #741
8350 White Feather Court
Lorton, VA 22079
Current Inspector: Stacy Doyle (571) 835-0386
Inspection Date: Oct. 7, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
The Licensing Inspector conducted an investigation in response to a self reported incident as a result of a teacher grabbing a 4 year old's face on October 4, 2019. Interviews were conducted with staff and documents were reviewed. It was determined that the center did not ensure behavioral guidance was constructive in nature, age and stage appropriate, and intended to redirect children to appropriate behavior and resolve conflicts. The information gathered during this investigation supports the allegation; the violation was discussed with the center director. Please return a signed and dated copy to the licensing office within 5 calendar days of receipt. If you have any questions you may contact me at Stacy.Doyle@dss.virginia.gov 571-835-0386.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-400-B Description: Based on multiple staff interviews, incident report review and coach form, the center did not ensure behavioral guidance was constructive in nature, age and stage appropriate, and intended to redirect children to appropriate behavior and resolve conflicts.
1. The center?s incident report for Child #1 documented that on October 4, 2019 at approximately 11:30am, Staff #1 covered Child #1's (4 year old) mouth and then grabbed his face/cheeks with her hands as she was asking him to go inside to go to the bathroom.
2. The center?s coaching form dated October 4, 2019 for Staff #1 documented that Staff #2 reported to Staff #4 that they saw Staff #1 put her hand up to Child #1?s mouth as he was talking to her and then grab the child?s face while asking the children to line up to go inside and use the bathroom. In the staff comment section, Staff #1 wrote ?Child was still yelling this time in my face. I then place my fingertips over his mouth to silence and calm him down. As I was explaining further instructions, the child turns his upper half away from me as to face the wall. I then place my hands on both side of his face to turn him around back to me.?
3. Staff #1 stated Child #1 was talking over her, so she put her top 3 fingertips over Child #1?s lips. Staff #1 stated Child #1 turned his whole body around away from her, so she took her 2 hands and turned his face around in a ?pushing manner. ? She described the moment as ?we were having an intense conversation and he didn?t have his listening ears.? Staff #1 admitted her actions were not appropriate because she had her hands on him and would not do it to another child.
4. Staff #2 was on the playground on October 4, 2019 in the morning and stated she witnessed Staff #1 ?put her whole hand over his mouth and then squeezed his face with one hand.?
5. Staff #3 was on the playground on October 4, 2019 in the morning and stated she witnessed Staff #1 ?grab his face, with both hands placed over his cheeks to keep his head in eye contact with hers.?
6. Child #1 stated Staff #1 squeezed his face.
Plan of Correction: - Management made the decision to part ways with this teacher at this location.
- Any new incoming staff or current staff filling in will go over the Positive Guidance standards
- Management will use Professional Development Day to have a positive guidance training with all staff members
- Observations will be completed in the classroom to ensure that our positive guidance practices are in place
- Mandated Reporting procedures will be retrained to all staff within 30 days
- Code of ethics acknowledgements will be audited and completed for all staff
- All new staff coming in will observe supervision and transition activities in classrooms prior to being in ratio
- District leader will do unannounced visits to the center to ensure that staff are being retrained and that observations are completed
- District Leader will make sure any new management is trained CSR and supervision practices
- Program Quality Business Partner will complete a 90 day follow up with teachers and management to ensure that a implementation of classroom management activities are taking place.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.