Franklin County YMCA School-Age Child Care Program
235 Technology Drive
Rocky mount, VA 24151
Current Inspector: Rebecca Forestier (540) 309-2835
Inspection Date: Nov. 5, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
An unannounced monitoring inspection was completed on 11/05/2019. There were 38 children, ages 5 years-11 years, 4 staff providing direct care and supervision and additional support staff present during the inspection. The inspector reviewed 5 children's records, 5 staff records and 2 medications during the inspection. Children were observed in the following activities: having breakfast, during a fire drill, going on a nature walk and in free choice large motor play. Proper hand washing and table sanitizing procedures were also observed. The inspector reviewed the emergency supplies during the inspection. The inspector arrived for the inspection at 7:45 a.m. and departed at 11:30 a.m. If you have any questions, please contact Becky Forestier at 540-309-2835.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-60-A Description: Based on record review and discussion with the staff, the facility failed to ensure that the separate record for each child enrolled shall contain all of the elements as required by the standards.
1. The record for Child #1 did not contain the following information: when applicable, the work phone number and place of employment of each parent who has custody (a place of employment was listed but the record did not contain a work phone number), the name, address and phone number of two designated people to call in an emergency if a parent cannot be reached (there was only one designated person provided), health information as required by 22VAC40-185-150, and the previous child day care and schools attended by the child.
2. The record for Child #2 did not contain the previous child day care and schools attended by the child.
3. The record for Child #5 did not contain the following information: name and phone number of child's physician, the name, address and phone number of two designated people to call in an emergency if a parent cannot be reached (a parent was listed as a contact), and the health information as required by 22VAC40-185-130 through 22VAC40-185-150.
Plan of Correction: They will be fixed today.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-70-A Description: Based on record review and discussion with the staff, the facility failed to ensure that staff records contain all of the elements as required by the standards.
1. The record for Staff #1 did not contain the following information: documentation that two or more references as to character and reputation as well as competency were checked before employment and written information to demonstrate that the individual possesses the orientation training required by the job position.
2. The record for Staff #2 contained a document that reference checks were taken over the phone and the document did not contain the date of contact for the second reference check.
Plan of Correction: They will be fixed today.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-G Description: Based on observations and discussion with the staff, the facility failed to ensure that children 10 years of age and older shall be within actual sight and sound supervision of staff.
Evidence: Child #5 was in the administrative office with Staff #6; Staff #6 walked out of the office and into the lobby of the facility where the child was no longer within actual sight and sound supervision of staff. Staff #6 was out of the administrative office for approximately 1 minute. Child #5 was determined to be 10 years old.
Plan of Correction: Will not leave the office with children in it.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-560-N Description: Based on observations and discussion with the staff, the facility failed to ensure that no child shall be allowed to drink or eat while walking around.
Evidence: Child #2 and Child #5 were observed walking around while eating breakfast.
Plan of Correction: The staff will be spoken to about children sitting while eating.
Standard #: 63.2(17)-1720.1-B-2 Description: Based on record review and discussion with the staff, the facility failed to ensure that no person shall be hired for compensated employment prior to the facility obtaining an employment eligibility letter upon the completion of a fingerprint background check as required by the Code of Virginia.
Evidence: The record for Staff #1 has a documented hire date of 10/16/2019; the date on the eligibility letter is 10/21/2019.
Plan of Correction: Fingerprints will be gotten before staff are hired.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.