Kiddie Academy of Alexandria
1000 Bernard Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Current Inspector: Maria Robles-Lopez (703) 397-3827
Inspection Date: Oct. 17, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
An unannounced inspection was conducted between 10:30am and 11:45am to investigate a self-reported incident regarding a children being fed the bottle of a different child. Based on observation of the center?s video recording and interviews with staff, violations were found regarding the self-report, along with other violations. For violation details, please refer to the Violation Notice. Thank you for your cooperation during this inspection. Any concerns regarding this inspection contact email@example.com@dss.virginia.gov.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-A Description: Based on video review and staff interview, staff did not always ensure care and protection of children under their supervision.
1) On October 10, 2019 at approximately 10:45 am, Staff #1 handed the bottle of Child #2 to Child #1 (7 months), who was sitting on a feeding chair in the middle of the Infant room.
2) The video recording shows Staff #1 giving Child #1 a bottle. After approximately 30 seconds Staff #2 entered the room and after looking at Child #1, walked over to where he was sitting and took the bottle away from him.
3) Staff #2 stated that she came back from the bathroom and when she saw Child #1 with the bottle, ?I knew it wasn?t Child #1?s bottle because it was a different color? (than the ones that Child #1 normally brings). Staff #2 looked at the bottle and confirmed that it was labeled with Child #2?s name.
4) Staff #2 stated that she compared the ounces of milk left in the bottle with the rest of the bottles for Child #2 that day to see how much milk Child #1 drank. The bottles appeared to have about the same amount of ounces so Staff #2 thinks Child #1 didn?t get to drink or drank very little.
Plan of Correction: Staff #1 was terminated on the day of the incident.
We will retrain staff in the process of labeling the bottles.
Now we will initial who prepares the bottle and feeds the child. Same staff member will do both.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-500-B Description: Based on observation, the diapering surface was not cleaned and sanitized after each use.
1) In the Goldfish room, after two diaper changes, staff was observed spraying the changing pad with only a sanitizing solution. The diapering surface was not first cleaned with soap and water.
Plan of Correction: We will retrain our staff in the two-step cleaning and sanitizing process.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-570-E Description: Based on observation, prepared infant formula was not dated and labeled with the child?s name as required.
1) Four bottles located in the refrigerator in the Goldfish classroom, were not labeled with complete name and date.
Plan of Correction: Sent parents a note to remind them about putting down name and date on the bottles. Teachers will verify.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.