Little Acorn Patch at Kingstowne
5801 Castlewellan Drive
Alexandria, VA 22315
Current Inspector: Pamela Sneed (703) 479-4704
Inspection Date: Sept. 27, 2019 , Oct. 1, 2019 , Oct. 3, 2019 and Oct. 8, 2019
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
A complaint was received on 9/27/2019 by the Fairfax License Office regarding confidential records, diapering procedures and care of children. An unannounced inspection was conducted on 9/27/2019 with follow-up inspections on 10/01/2019 and 10/8/2019. Conducted Interviews, reviewed staff records and documentation as well as observed physical space. The information gathered during the investigation does not support the allegations regarding confidential records and care of children so those portions of the complaint are determined to be not valid. The information gathered during the investigation supports the allegations regarding diapering procedures, so that portion of the complaint is determined to be valid. The non-compliance is identified in the violation notice. If you have any questions regarding the inspection, please feel free to contact me.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-500-B Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on observation and staff statements, the diapering area was not equipped with the required supplies.
1. Staff #1 stated that the classroom bathroom for Child A did not have a non-absorbent surface (mat) to change the child.
2. Caregiver #3 stated that she was instructed by Staff #2 to change Child A on the floor.
3. Caregiver #4 stated that she changed Child A on the floor.
4. Based on observation, no appropriate disposal container was available to place soiled diapers in after changing a child.
5. Staff #1 confirmed that a foot operated disposal container was not in the classroom bathroom.
6. Caregiver #4 stated that "the poopy diaper with sand was placed in a plastic bag and put in an open trashcan. The trashcan was emptied 30 minutes later".
Plan of Correction: The school made bathroom and toileting provisions for Child A's special needs. The caregivers of Child A were not employees of the school. The caregivers were the individuals mentioned in this violation. The step on disposal has always been located outside the bathroom.
As of November 1, 2019, a non-absorbent mat has been added.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.