Learn N' Play Child Care Center
130 Camden Street
Danville, VA 24541
Current Inspector: Kelly Ann Campbell (540) 309-2494
Inspection Date: Dec. 9, 2019
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
An unannounced complaint inspection was conducted in response to a complaint that was received by the licensing office on 12/9/2019. Interviews were conducted with staff relating to the allegation of transportation, diapering and ratio. The preponderance of the evidence gathered during the investigation does support the allegation, so that complaint is determined to be " valid" .
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-140-A Complaint related: No Description: Based on review of seven children's records, the center failed to ensure that all physical exams were obtained within 30 days of starting the program.
1. Child # 6 started the program on 8/20/2019 and did not have a physical exam on the day of the inspection.
Plan of Correction: All parents have been given the paperwork, they have five days to return all forms .
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-70-A Complaint related: No Description: Based on review of four staff's records, the center failed to ensure that all records were complete with required information.
1. Staff # 1 was missing the documented job title.
2. Staff # 2 was missing the address for the emergency contact.
Plan of Correction: All documentation has been completed.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-180-D Complaint related: No Description: Based on review of four staff's records and interviews, the center failed to ensure that all staff who drive a vehical transporting children shall disclose any traffic violation that occurred prior to or during employment.
1. Staff # 1 and 4 did not have a statement disclosing any traffic violations in their record. Verified through interviews with the administrator and staff that staff # 1 and 4 have been transporting children.
Plan of Correction: Per the owner: this was taken care of with documentation.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-350-E-1 Complaint related: No Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that ratio for children from birth to age of 16 months was met.
1. Staff # 5 was observed with five children upon arrival under the age of 16 months. Staff # 5 stated that she usually has six infants every day. The required ratio was one staff to four infants.
2. In the napping room there was staff # 6 with eight sleeping children. The ages range from under 16 months to 4 years.
The ratio does not double during nap time due to the age of children being cared for and an extra staff person not available to help in an emergency. The required ratio for this room is one staff to four children. Staff stated that the child under16 months was visiting from the infant room. The child was laying down with her sister.
Plan of Correction: Additional staff have been hired for each room. The 16 months to 2 years have been moved out to separate room.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-440-L Complaint related: No Description: Based on observation of the infant room, the center failed to ensure that all children under the age of 2 years did not use pillows or filled comforters.
1. Observed three infants under the age of 16 months asleep on a body pillow. The staff person stated that they had cots, but she placed them on the pillows. There were three individual body pillow, each child was laying across a pillow.
Plan of Correction: I have talked with staff and informed her that infants are to be on cots or beds.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-500-B Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that all diapering procedures were followed.
1. Staff # 6 was observed changing diapers on a stack of cots in the preschool room. The cots were not cleaned and or sanitized after each change.
2. Staff # 6 placed the soiled diapers in a plastic grocery bag. The diaper is required to be disposed of in a manner where the staff's hands don't touch the trash can and or the diaper does not touch the trash can and or the bag.
3. Staff # 5 was observed changing an infant, she walked across the room to obtain a diaper. She left the mobile infant unattended on the changing table. The changing table was approximately 3 feet off the ground.
Plan of Correction: Per the owner: we have placed baskets with infant's names on them to place all changing items inside.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-570-B Complaint related: No Description: Based on observation of the infant room, the center failed to ensure that bottle fed infants who cannot hold their bottles shall be held when fed. Bottles shall not be propped.
1. Child # 4 (5 months old) was sitting in his car seat with a bottle propped.
Plan of Correction: Staff were told that at no time is a child to be in a car seat with a bottle propped.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.