Lyn Cag Moneta Head Start Center
1077 Town Circle Way
Moneta, VA 24121
Current Inspector: Victoria E Dawson (540) 309-2674
Inspection Date: Feb. 14, 2020
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
An unannounced monitoring inspection was completed on 2/14/2020. There were 14 children present with three staff present. Five children's records were reviewed. Two staff records had been previously reviewed and were up-to-date. Three emergency medications were reviewed for three children.
The inspector arrived at the center at 11:40 am and departed at 2:30 pm.
The children were observed during a movie time, during lunch, during nap, during afternoon snack, and during departures.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-280-B Description: REPEAT VIOLATION
Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that hazardous substances such as cleaning materials, insecticides, and pesticides shall be kept in a locked place using a safe locking method that prevents access by children. If a key is used, the key shall not be accessible to the children.
1. There were two areas where cleaning supplies were observed behind closed doors that were not locked and did not have a locking mechanism on them. The kitchen with a door directly into it from the classroom area had cleaning and sanitizing materials (multiple sanitizing sprays, multiple sanitizing wipes, multiple dish soaps, gallon of bleach) observed. Some were observed in a cabinet under the sink that was unlocked and others were observed on top of refrigerators.
2. There was a closet in the back of the nap room used by the children that contained a stock supply of cleaning and sanitizing sprays. There were approximately 35 bottles of refills for the cleaning and sanitizers that were stored in this unlocked closet on a shelving unit. There was also a janitor's cart observed in the closet with multiple cleaning supplies on it.
Plan of Correction: The lead teacher reported this after the last inspection to be fixed and will report it again to administrative staff.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-500-A Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that the children washed their hands or used disposable wipes after eating.
1. Approximately 10 children were observed eating afternoon snack of yogurt and milk. None of the children washed their hands or used disposable wipes after eating.
Plan of Correction: The staff will make sure that the children wash their hands or use disposable wipes after eating.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-540-E Description: REPEAT VIOLATION
Based on interview, the center failed to ensure that the required non-medical emergency supplies were available.
1. The lead staff person was asked for the battery operated radio. The staff person stated that there were no batteries available. The staff person stated, when asked why they did not have batteries, that they had asked administration for batteries for the radio but had not received them.
Plan of Correction: The teacher will remind administration of the need for batteries.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-550-H Description: REPEAT VIOLATION
Based on interview, the center failed to ensure that there was a document containing potential shelters, hospitals, and evacuation routes for each site frequently visited or routes frequently driven by the center that was kept on the bus.
1. The bus driver was asked if the missing components were added to the emergency plan and stated that her supervisor had not provided a complete emergency plan to her. The only route that was available was the route from the center to the hospital.
Plan of Correction: The bus driver will remind the the transportation specialist of the need for a complete emergency plan for the bus.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-560-K Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that tables were sanitized before and after use for feeding.
1.Four tables were observed to be used for lunch. The same four tables were not cleaned or sanitized after use for lunch. The tables were used for snack after nap and were not cleaned or sanitized before use.
Plan of Correction: The staff will make sure that the tables are cleaned and sanitized after use for feeding and before use for another meal or snack.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.