Ms. Kathleen Creasey
5204 Clarence Street
Richmond, VA 23225
Current Inspector: Ali Metzger (804) 662-9092
Inspection Date: May 15, 2018
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-111 Physical Environment and Equipment
22VAC40-111 Care of Children
22VAC40-111 Preventing the Spread of Disease
63.2 Liability Insurance Disclosure
22VAC40-191 Background Checks for Child Welfare Agencies
An unannounced monitoring inspection was completed on 5/15/18. There were nine children present from two months old through three years with the provider and two assistants supervising. The point total was 27. No medications were at the provider's home. Five children's records, the provider's record and two assistant's records were reviewed. The inspector arrived at the provider's home at 10:00 am and departed at 1:45 pm. The children were observed during free play time and during lunch. There was discussion with the provider about the following: annual update of the emergency preparedness plan and training of the assistants on this plan for the year (last review was May 2017), ensuring the Violation Notice (along with the license needing to be posted) is posted, background check changes and finger printing, transitioning children who are over 12 months of age to a cot or mat.
Standard #: 22VAC40-111-920 Description: Based on observation and interview, the provider failed to ensure that the menu for the current one-week period was posted. Evidence: 1. The menu for the week of May 7-11 was observed to be posted. 2. The provider was asked about the current menu. The provider stated that the menu was not printed for this week. Plan of Correction: The provider will post the menu for this week tomorrow.
Standard #: 22VAC40-111-510-A Description: Based on observation and interview, the provider failed to ensure that a child was provided an individual crib.
1. There was not a crib provided for child #1. Child #1 started care 5/14/18 and is two (2) months old. According to the assistant, child #1 was observed to be put on a boppy pillow for sleeping. The assistant stated that the infant is also put in a bouncy seat for sleeping. There was no crib assigned for child #1.
2. There were three cribs observed at the family day home. There were three children observed using the cribs other than child #1. There was no crib available for child #1.
Plan of Correction: The provider will transition the children who are over a year old to a cot to free up a crib for child #1.
Standard #: 22VAC40-111-530-C Description: Based on observation and interviews, the provider failed to ensure that linens were assigned for individual use. Evidence: 1. Child #4 was observed asleep in a crib at arrival of the inspector at 10:00 am. According to interview with an assistant, child #4 had a temperature of 100.2 that was taken prior to laying the child in the crib. 2. At 12:00 pm, child #6 was observed in the same crib used by child #4 earlier in the day. According to the assistant, the sheets were not changed after use by child #4 and before use by child #6. 3. According to the provider, there was a child in care who was absent on last Friday due to a fever. 4. Child #7 was observed to be laid in the same crib that was used by children #4 and #6 previously. The provider was asked about this child using the crib as it was the third child to use the same crib with the same linens. The provider stated that there are different "blankets and stuff" in the crib. The inspector told the provider that the same stuffed toy, blanket, and sheet was in the crib from the two previous children as evidenced by the color of the blankets, the character of the stuffed toy, and the marks/loose dirt on the sheet. The provider asked an assistant and verified the same blankets, pillows, and stuffed toy was in the crib. Plan of Correction: This was corrected during the inspection. The provider changed the sheet, wiped the mattress down with antibacterial wipes, and changed the blankets. The provider will review requirements with the assistants.
Standard #: 22VAC40-111-530-G Description: Based on observation, the provider failed to ensure that children under two years of age did not use pillows.
1. Child #6 was observed asleep in a crib at 12:00 pm. The child was asleep with her head laying on a stuffed animal pillow (approximately 8x6 with a longer stuffed tail). There was also a child-sized fleece blanket folded several times laying beside the child's face in the crib. Child #6 was 19 months old. Children under two years of age shall not use pillows or filled comforters.
2. Child #1 was observed to be laid on a half pillow (boppy pillow) by an assistant when he had fallen asleep. The assistant was asked about the sleeping environment for child #1 and explained to the inspector that the child is placed on this pillow to sleep. Child #1 is two months old. Children under two years of age shall not use pillows.
Plan of Correction: This was corrected during the inspection. Child #6 was removed from the crib and child #1 was put into a infant swing. The provider will remind staff to not use pillows or other blankets with children under two years of age.
Standard #: 22VAC40-111-680-B Description: Based on observation and interview, the provider failed to ensure that the children's hands were washed with liquid soap and warm running water prior to eating.
1. The children were observed preparing to go to lunch. The children were not observed to go into the bathroom to wash their hands with soap and running water.
2. An assistant was asked if the hands of the children had been washed. The assistant explained to the inspector that the children's hands were wiped with a wipe with hand sanitizer on it. The children's hands were not washed with soap and running water.
Plan of Correction: The provider will review hand washing requirements with the assistants.
Standard #: 22VAC40-80-120-E-1 Description: Based on observation and interview, the provider failed to ensure that the most recently issued license was posted. Evidence: 1. The license was not observed to be posted. 2. The provider stated that the wall where the license is normally posted was recently painted. 3. The provider was observed to have other decorative items on the wall where she described the location of the license to be posted. Plan of Correction: The provider will post the license today.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.