1692 South Coolwell Road
Madison heights, VA 24572
Current Inspector: Victoria E Dawson (540) 309-2674
Inspection Date: Jan. 9, 2020
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-111 Physical Environment and Equipment
22VAC40-111 Care of Children
22VAC40-111 Preventing the Spread of Disease
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
An unannounced monitoring inspection was completed on 1/9/2020. There were five children present from four months through two years with the provider and assistant supervising. The point total was 17. Six newly enrolled children's records were reviewed. All caregiver and household member's records were current and did not need review. The provider does not administer medications.
The inspector arrived at the provider's home at 12:45 pm and departed at 4:00 pm.
The children were observed during nap, during afternoon snack, and during departures.
There was detailed discussion about infant sleeping arrangements including not using car seats as the infant sleeping space, not having any type of filled blankets in the crib or other sleeping space. There was also discussion about emptying, cleaning, and sanitizing a toilet chair after each use.
Standard #: 22VAC40-111-790 Description: Based on observation and interview, the provider failed to ensure that all required emergency numbers were posted near the telephone.
1. The emergency numbers required to be posted near the telephone were not observed. The provider was asked about the number for the back-up caregiver and was unable to provide where this information was posted. The emergency back-up caregivers number was not on the list of emergency numbers that was observed to be posted.
Plan of Correction: The provider stated that she would add it to the emergency numbers list that is posted. This was done during the inspection.
Standard #: 22VAC40-111-60-B Description: Based on record review, the provider failed to ensure that all children's records contained documentation of all required information.
1. The record of child #7 did not have documentation of the child's father's work address as required. One of two emergency contacts did not have a complete address; there was no house number for the address.
2. The record of child #3 did not have documentation of the child's first date of attendance or the mother's work address,
3. The record of child #4 did not have a name, address, and phone number of a person to contact in the event of an emergency if the parent could not be contacted. There was one emergency contact; two are required.
4. The records of children #5 and #6 did not have documentation of the children's previous child care or schools attended, if any. This required information was not documented in the space provided (it was left blank).
Plan of Correction: The provider documented the first date of attendance for child #3 and will get all other information documented for the other children. Documentation for children #5 and #6 was completed during the inspection.
Standard #: 22VAC40-111-280 Description: Based on observation and interview, the provider failed to ensure that potentially poisonous substances, materials and supplies such as, but not limited to, cleaning agents, disinfectants, deodorizers, plant care chemicals, pesticides, and petroleum distillates were stored away from food in areas inaccessible to children.
1. The cabinet under the sink in the only bathroom in the child care area was observed to have a child lock on it that was unlocked. The provider was asked of the contents of the cabinet which was floor level. The provider showed the inspector the contents. There were multiple cleaners to include sprays, aerosols, and abrasive cleaners in a shaker container with holes. The provider attempted to use the lock to secure the hazardous items and it was broken so it could not be locked to make the contents inaccessible to the children.
Plan of Correction: The provider purchase a child proof lock this evening to replace the broken one.
Standard #: 22VAC40-111-610-A Description: Based on observation, the use of media was not limited to two hours per day and was not limited to programs produced for children or suitable for children.
1. The television (TV) in the child care area was observed to be on a local channel during the entire inspection (more than three hours). The TV was observed to have a talk shows about adult issues. Adult issues were discussed on the TV such as paternity tests, private/personal adult actions, and other content not suitable for children. There were children ages four months, six months, 22 months, and two years of age awake and preparing for nap laying in front of the TV. All but one infant fell asleep after about 45 minutes while the TV was on.
2. The shows that were observed to be on the TV during the inspection were Steve Wilkos, Maury Povich, and Jerry Springer.
Plan of Correction: The provider will make sure there is suitable content on the TV.
Standard #: 22VAC40-111-680-B Description: Based on observation, the provider failed to ensure that children's hands were washed as required.
1. A six month old infant was observed to be changed on a diaper changing table by the provider. The child's hands were not washed as required after being diapered.
2. A four month old infant was observed to be changed by the provider. The child's hands were not washed as required after being diapered.
Plan of Correction: The provider will wash all children's hands after being diapered.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.