Heritage Child Development Center
224 Mosby Blvd.
Berryville, VA 22611
Current Inspector: Barbara Workman
Complaint Related: No
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-40-E Description: Based on documentation and interviews the facility failed to follow their own policies and procedures for identifying where attending children are at all times and for a lost and missing child..
1. On 03/10/2017 staff #2 confirmed that on 03/01/2017 she did not follow the facility procedure for sight and sound supervision as she did not know what to do when the two year old child was found not to be in the classroom.
Plan of Correction: An intense review of policy and procedures will begin with our March 14, 2017 staff meeting. At each monthly meeting we will cover a different policy and procedure as a refresher for staff.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-A Description: Based on documentation and interviews the facility failed to ensure the care, protection and guidance of a child two and one-half years old in care.
1. On 03/10/2017 staff #2 reported that on 03/01/2017 child #1 was out of sight and sound supervision and she did not know where he was until another child questioned where he was..
2. On 03/01/2017 child #1 was with adult #1 and another child in the hallway. Adult #1 is not the parent or guardian for child #1.
3. On 03/02/2017 staff #2 documented and then reported on 03/10/2017 that child #1 has tried to leave when on the playground and a parent is entering the outside door. Also, that once when child #1's parent opened the door to pick the child up child #1 ran out and started running down the hallway.
Plan of Correction: At staff meeting we will review all standards related to care, protection and guidance. I will be sure to allow time for questions and scenarios that might be brought up that would be helpful. We will do some role playing at this time as well in order to cement the importance of the care, protection and guidance of the children.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-F Description: Based on documentation and interviews the facility failed to ensure sight and sound supervision of a child two and one-half years old for approximately 3 to 4 minutes.
1. On 03/02/2017 staff #2 documented that on 03/01/2017 child #2 said "where did child #1 go?" Staff #2 documented she looked around the classroom and did not see child #1. On 03/10/2017 staff #2 reported child #1 was out of sight and sound supervision for approximately 3 to 4 minutes.
2. On 03/02/2017 adult #1 who is neither the parent or guardian of child #1 documented that on 03/01/2017 she is pretty sure child #1 snuck out behind she and her child when they had briefly poked in to see another child.
3. On 03/02/2017 staff #3 documented that on 03/01/2017 at around 5:00 p.m. she inquired from adult #1 as to who the other child was with her. Adult #1 advised child #1 was not with her. Staff #3 documented she took child #1 to the front desk and then to the classroom where then he was acknowledged with staff #2 advising she had no idea he was gone.
Plan of Correction: Bells have been installed on the classroom door in order to alert staff when someone is entering or leaving the classroom. The teachers do a handwritten roster that they carry with them at all times indicating number and name of children in their care. This particular classroom has implemented this procedure. We also have posted a notice on the door requesting adults ensure the door closes behind them as it does close slowly. We will be doing a training on March 14th and we will go over the procedure for missing children, the definition of sight and sound supervision and the chain of command.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-560-N Description: Based on documentation and interview a child was eating and running around the classroom.
1. On 03/02/2017 Staff #4 documented that a child in classroom #1 on 03/01/2017 got up from his seat and was running around while eating a popsicle.
2. On 03/10/2017 Staff #4 confirmed that child #3 on 03/01/2017 got up from his seat and run around classroom #1 while eating a popsicle on 03/01/2017.
Plan of Correction: At our staff meeting on 03/14/2017 we will review the standard related to no child shall be allowed to drink or eat while walking around. I will prepare some safety points that will enhance the importance of this standard.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.