Lily Pad at Metro Park
6361 Walker Lane C-110
Alexandria, VA 22310
Current Inspector: Mahrukh Aziz (571) 835-4718
Inspection Date: April 5, 2017
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
63.2 Licensure and Registration Procedures
63.2 Facilities and Programs..
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
- Technical Assistance:
1. Reviewed requirements for posting the violations from the most recent inspection. 2. Discussed medication regulations and requirements. Paperwork may be kept in a different place from the medicine however, must be accessible. 3. Electrical outlets regardless of height/location should have safety covers.
Conducted an unannounced renewal inspection 10:25am - 1:45pm. Observed 39 children + 11 direct-care staff + 3 additional administration staff. Ratios were in compliance and supervision was constant in all classrooms. Children were observed having outdoor active play on the playground, playing with fine-motor toys, reading books, washing hands, eating lunch, and taking naps. The infants were napping, having play time on the floor, and being fed. Each child packs their own food daily. Staff were actively engaged with the children in all classrooms and attentive to the needs of the children. The center was found to be very clean, safeguarded appropriately, and well supplied with developmentally appropriate toys and equipment for the children. The outdoor playground was found to be clean and hazard free. Staff training requirements were met. Medication administration and record keeping violations found. Questions about this inspection may be directed to: email@example.com
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-160-A Description: Based on records reviewed, it was determined that 2 of 4 staff records did not include a TB screening completed within 12 months prior to employment or 21 days after. Evidence: 1. Staff #9 - Date of hire was 12/12/16, and the TB test on-file was dated as completed 5/1/15. 2. Staff #10 - Date of hire was 2/27/17, and the TB test on-file was dated as completed 1/30/16. Plan of Correction: Staff will be notified today that a new TB test is needed, and they will have one week to complete.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-160-C Description: Based on records reviewed, it was determined that 1 of 4 staff records did not include a TB screening every 2 years. Evidence: Staff #11 - The previous TB test was completed in October 2014. Plan of Correction: The test was completed however, the written document could not be located today. The staff person will get a copy of the test results by Friday.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-510-A Description: Based on records reviewed and interview conducted, it was determined that 6 of 7 medications on-site did not have written parent authorization, or the authorizations were incomplete and/or not consistent with the medication administration records.
1. Child #2 - The written medication authorization for a cough syrup states the medicine is to be given every 4 hours however, staff state that the medicine is to be given as needed, which was reflected on the medication administration record.
2. Child #3 - The written medication authorization for a cough syrup states the medicine is to be given every 4 hours however, staff state that the medicine is to be given as needed, which was reflected on the medication administration record.
3. Child #4 - There was no written medication authorization form on-file for Tylenol. A topical ointment form was completed by the parents and accepted by staff however, this form did not include information about dosage and times to be given, nor does it authorize the center to give the medicine.
4. Child #5 - The written medication authorization for a cough syrup was not available for review, as it was shredded during the inspection. Staff stated that they thought it had expired and therefore shredded it.
5. Child #6 - The written authorization for Benadryl does not include information about specific times to be given.
Plan of Correction: We review how we accept and maintain medication paperwork, and train staff accordingly in the next month. Parents of the children identified in this report will be contacted today and paperwork updated by Monday.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.