Children of America Glen Allen, LLC
2501 Old Brick Road
Glen allen, VA 23060
Current Inspector: Susan Ellington-Sconiers (804) 588-2368
Inspection Date: May 3, 2018 , May 4, 2018 , May 18, 2018 and May 29, 2018
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
- Technical Assistance:
The licensing inspector conducted an unannounced inspection on Thursday, May 3, 2018 and Friday May 4, 2018 in response to a self-reported incident that the Department received on May 2, 2018 regarding forbidden actions. The inspector was on site at the center on Thursday, May 3, 2018 from 12:30pm to 2:40pm. Interviews were completed, observations were made in the center, and documentation was reviewed. The inspector completed additional interviews and with follow up activities on May 18, 2018 and May, 29, 2018.
The preponderance of the evidence gathered during the investigation validates the self-reported incident. There was also an additional non-related violation found during the inspection. See the violation notice for more details.
If you have any questions about this inspection, please contact the licensing inspector at (804) 662-9760.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-40-E Description: Based on a review of policies and procedures, interviews and a review of documentation on 05/03/2018, 05/04/2018 and 05/29/2018 the center did not ensure that the center's activities and services, were in compliance with the center's own policies and procedures that are required by these standards.
1. The center policies state that "[u]nder no circumstance is any form of abuse, physical punishment,...to be used as a form of discipline" and staff "must never be physical with any child".
2. Staff #1 was observed by Staff #2 throw Child #1 out of the class into the hallway, which resulted in Child #1 bumping his head.
3. In a written statement, Staff #1 stated "No one had come to assist me at this point so I tossed [Child #1] into the hallway as I could not physical [sic] contain him any longer".
4. In transcripts obtained from the local child protective services worker, Staff #1 stated " So when I let go of [Child#1], I just kind of dropped him onto the floor."
5. Child #1 stated that Staff #1 " threw me out of the classroom cause I wasn't listening".
Plan of Correction: In house training on proper redirection will be given to all current staff.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-410-1 Description: Based on interviews and a review of documentation on 05/03/2018, 05/04/2018 and 05/29/2018, the center did not ensure that roughly handling a child was forbidden.
1. Staff #2 stated that she observed Staff #1 throw Child #1 outside of the classroom onto the hallway floor. Staff #2 stated that Staff #1's hands were the outside of Child #1's arms and Child #1's feet were off the ground. Child #1 landed on the left side of his head and was screaming and crying.
2. In a written statement Staff #1 stated "...so I tossed him [Child #1] into the hallway as I could not physical [sic] contain him any longer."
3. In transcripts of an interview with the local child protective services worker Staff #1 stated " I just kind of dropped him [Child #1} onto the floor".
4. Child #1 stated that Staff #1 " picked me up with her hands and threw me out of the class" and " I hurt my head, I hit it on the floor".
Plan of Correction: Staff on administrative leave; in house training with proper redirection will be provided to all current staff.
Standard #: 63.2-1720.1-B-2 Description: Based on a review of staff records on 05/03/2018, the center did not ensure that notice of eligibility based on results of a national fingerprint-based criminal history record check were received prior to staff working in the center. EVIDENCE: The record of Staff #3, whose date of hire was 04/30/2018, did not contain a determination letter of eligibility. Staff #3 stated that the fingerprints were completed on 05/01/2018. Plan of Correction: Ensure background checks of eligibility received prior to first day moving forward.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.