Free Union Country School
4220 Free Union Road
Free union, VA 22940
Current Inspector: Chrystal King (804) 297-4469
Inspection Date: Sept. 5, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
22VAC40-80 HEARINGS PROCEDURES.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2 Facilities & Programs.
An unannounced renewal inspection was completed on 09/05/2019 from 9:15 A.M. until 2:15 P.M. At the time of the inspection 20 children were in care with four staff, one administrator, and two office coordinators present. Five children's records, five staff records, two board members records, two medications and required documentation, required posted information, evacuation drills, two injury reports, first aid kits and supplies,emergency plan, fire inspection, health inspection, parent handbook, and outside play area were reviewed. Children were observed during morning group gathering, transition to outside time, outdoor play, an emergency evacuation drill, handwashing, snack time, free choice activities that included building, art activities, sensory activities, lunchtime, and naptime. The exceptions to compliance are noted on the violation notice.
If you have questions or concerns contact the licensing inspector at (540)-430-9257 for further assistance.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-160-A Description: Based on review of staff files, the center failed to ensure that a negative tuberculosis screening was completed within 21 days after employment or within 12 months prior to employment.
1. Staff #3's tuberculosis screening was dated 08/26/2019. Date of employment was 07/01/2019.
2. Staff verified the date of employment and the date of the tuberculosis screening.
Plan of Correction: Administration were unclear that the 21 days began upon employment and not upon the date of the first day of school. In the future all staff will be sent for their tuberculosis screening within 21 days of employment.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-270-A Description: Based on observation the center failed to maintain the play area in a manner so that it is an area free of trip hazards.
1. During the inspection the Licensing Inspector observed a garden hose that was stretched out and laying in the path of children running on the preschool playground.
2. Staff verified that the garden hose was in the path of running children.
Plan of Correction: Staff immediately moved the hose from the play area and placed it in an area where the children do not play.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-420-A Description: Based on review of the parent handbook, the center failed to provide parents with all required information in writing before the child's first day of attendance.
1. The center's parent handbook was missing the following information: transportation policy; policy for application of sunscreen, diaper ointment, and insect repellent; the custodial parent's right to be admitted to the center; and termination policy.
2. Administrative staff verified that the parents were not provided with all required information in writing before the child's first day of attendance.
Plan of Correction: Administration will review the parent handbook and work with the board to update the handbook to include all required information. Once completed all parents and staff will receive the new updated handbook.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-550-M Description: Based on review of injury reports, the center failed to ensure all required information was included on the injury reports.
1. Two out of two injury reports reviewed were missing the section that states any future action to prevent recurrence of the injury.
2. Staff verified that the injury reports were missing the section that states any future action to prevent recurrence of the injury.
Plan of Correction: Administration will review the injury reports and recreate a new report with all required information included.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.