City of Harrisonburg Parks and Recreation
305 S. Dogwood Drive
Harrisonburg, VA 22801
Current Inspector: Julie Kunowsky (540) 430-9256
Inspection Date: Sept. 11, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2 Facilities & Programs.
An unannounced mandated inspection was conducted on September 11, 2019 from 10:00 A.M.-1::30 P.M. There were 26 children in the care of four staff and one administrator. Five children records, five staff records, evacuation drills, emergency plan, first aid kit and emergency supplies, asbestos management plan, one medication and required documentation, outdoor play area, and required posted information were reviewed. Children were observed during transition to restroom, handwashing, snacktime, circle time, storytime, small group activities, and gross motor play in the gym. The exceptions to compliance are noted on the violation notice.
If you have any questions or concerns contact the licensing inspector at (540)-430-9257 for further assistance.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-500-A Description: Based on observation of morning snack time, the center failed to ensure that children's hands were washed before the meal with soap and running water or a disposable wipe.
1. In Classroom #1 the Licensing Inspector observed the children wash their hands in the restroom. When the children returned to the classroom they were sent to the carpet area for a small group activity. The children were touching the carpet, manipulatives, and other children. The children were then sent to the table for snack time. The children did not rewash their hands with soap and running water or a disposable wipe.
2. Staff verified that the children did not re-wash their hands with soap and running water or a disposable wipe before snack time.
Plan of Correction: Staff will review the schedule to include handwashing before snack time.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-560-F Description: Based on review of the menu, observation, and verification by staff, the center failed to follow the nutritional requirements of a recognized authority such as the the Child and Adult Care Food Program of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
1. In Classroom #2 the morning snack consisted of carrots with ranch dip and 100% Apple Juice or Water. The snack only contained one of the two components that are required for AM snack.
Plan of Correction: Administration will review the menu to ensure that two components are included in the AM snack menu.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-560-K Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that tables were sanitized after snacktime.
1. In Classroom #2 after snacktime the staff began setting up the tables for small group activities, and began setting out materials on the tables. The tables were not sanitized after snacktime.
2. Staff verified that the tables were not sanitized after snacktime.
Plan of Correction: Staff immediately removed the materials from the tables and sanitized the tables.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.