Lyn Cag Northern Amherst Head Start Center
575 Union Hill Road
Central Elementary School
Amherst, VA 24521
Current Inspector: Victoria E Dawson (540) 309-2674
Inspection Date: Sept. 10, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
An unannounced renewal inspection was made on 9/10/19. There were 25 children present in two classes with four staff supervising. Five children's records were reviewed. There were no medications for the children at the center.
The inspector arrived at the center at 10:20 am and departed at 1:00 pm. The inspection was completed after review of four staff records at the main administrative offices on 9/13/19.
The children were observed during small group table toy play, during lunch, during outside time, and preparation for nap.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-130-A Description: Based on record review and interview, the center failed to ensure that the center obtained documentation that each child has received the immunizations required by the State Board of Health before the child can attend the center.
1. There was no immunization record in the record of child #1. Child #1 had a first date of attendance documented as 9/3/19.
2. Staff #1 was asked if child #1 had an immunization record. Staff #1 looked in the records for child #1 and verified that there was no immunization record in the child's file.
Plan of Correction: Staff #1 will ask the family service worker for the center for the child's immunization record.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-60-A Description: Based on record review, the center failed to ensure that each child's record contained documentation of all information required to be in each child's record.
1. The records for children #1 and #5 did not contain documentation of the mother's work phone number. The mother's name was listed as a custodial parent for both children and a work place was listed for both mothers of children #1 and #5.
Plan of Correction: Staff #1 had a work phone number that had been given to her on a post it note by the parent of child #5 yesterday. This will be documented in the child's record. Staff #1 will ask the parent of child #1 for a work phone number.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-540-E Description: Based on observation and interview, the center failed to ensure that there was a battery operated radio at the center.
1. The battery operated was not working.
2. Staff #1 and #2 were asked if there were extra batteries or another battery operated radio. Both staff indicated that there were no extra batteries available for the radios at the center.
Plan of Correction: Staff will request additional batteries for the radios.
Standard #: 22VAC40-80-120-E-2 Description: Based on observation, the findings of the most recent inspection of the facility were not posted.
1. The "Violation Notice" which would show the findings from the last inspection was not posted. There were violations cited at the last inspection.
Plan of Correction: Staff #1 will post the "Violation Notice" from today's inspection when received from the administrative staff.
Standard #: 63.2(17)-1720.1-B-3 Description: Based on record review and interview, the center failed to ensure that a copy of the results of a search of the central registry maintained pursuant to ? 63.2-1515 and any child abuse and neglect registry or equivalent registry maintained by any other state in which the individual has resided in the preceding five years for any founded complaint of child abuse or neglect was obtained for staff.
1. Staff #3 disclosed on the "Sworn Statement or Affirmation" as completed by staff #3 dated 11/14/17 that the staff person had lived in another state within the past five years. There was no out-of-state search of the central registry for the state that the staff person lived in the staff person's record.
2. The administrative staff person in charge of staff records was asked if the out-of-state search was completed. The administrative staff person stated that it had not been completed.
Plan of Correction: The administrative staff person will send the request to the appropriate state for staff #3.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. Eligible child care facilities must be fully licensed, licensed exempt and a VDSS subsidy vendor, or a voluntary registered day home and a VDSS subsidy vendor. Only programs enrolled in Virginia Quality will display a rating. Virginia Quality contact information for your region is available at the following link Regional Contacts.