Primrose School of Ashburn
44830 Lakeview Overlook Plaza
Ashburn, VA 20147
Current Inspector: Charles Perkins (703) 309-3963
Inspection Date: Sept. 24, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
32.1 Report by person other than physician
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
63.2 Facilities & Programs.
- Technical Assistance:
Discussion was held on the topics of current enrollment, current staffing, documentation of tummy time within the computer program, promotion of staff with additional training hours, documentation for private contractors, and background checks required under the LLC for this site versus its sister center in Broadlands.
The following inspection took place between the hours of 9 am through 4:30 pm. Today, I met with the Staff of the Primrose School located in Ashburn, Virginia. At the start of this unannounced monitoring inspection there were a total of 115 children with 24 staff; good ratios in all 11 rooms. A total of 10 children?s files and 10 staff files were reviewed. The children were engaged in the following: center activities within their classroom, large motor skills outside on playground, art, music, song, diapering, hand washing, snack, lunch, nap time, story time, infant feeding, pick up from school, and other organized activities. If you should have any questions, please call or send an e-mail. Thank you.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-140-A Description: Based on review, 3 of 10 children's files indicated that a physical examination (by or under the direction of a physician) was not obtained by the center within one month after the child's start date.
1. On the date of inspection (09/24/2019), the following children's physicals were not available for review: Child #2, Child #4, and Child #10.
2. The start dates were listed as: 08/23/2019 for Child #2, 08/06/2019 for Child #4, and 09/06/2019 for Child #10.
Plan of Correction: All missing documentation shall be obtained and placed on file.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-60-A Description: Based on review and interview, 3 of 10 children's files indicated that not all of the required information/documentation was on file within each child's record.
1. On the date of inspection (09/24/2019), the following information was not available for review: the health forms and Proof of Identification for Child #2 (start date - 01/07/2019), and the Proof of Identification for Child #6 (start date - 08/28/2017).
2. The children's record of Child #1 was not available for review (start date - 09/16/2019). The Director stated (during an interview conducted on the date of inspection) that the file for Child #1 had been archived after Child #1 was dis-enrolled. Once Child #1 was re-enrolled, the file was not retrieved from the center's off site storage space.
Plan of Correction: All missing information/documentation shall be obtained and placed on file.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-70-A Description: Based on review, 4 of 10 staff files indicated that not all of the required information was kept within each record.
1. On the date of inspection (09/24/2019), the following information was not available for review: Two (2) completed references for Staff #2 (start date - 08/23/2019), Staff #4 (start date - 08/06/2019), and Staff #10 (start date - 09/06/2019). The references for Staff #10 appeared to have been started, but was not completed.
2. The Orientation page for Staff #3 (start date - 09/10/2019) was not complete.
Plan of Correction: All missing information shall be completed, obtained, and placed on file.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-290-3 Description: Based on observation, 1 of 11 rooms indicated that not all outlets had protective covers installed.
1. On the date of inspection (09/24/2019), a power strip located in the Preschool 1 room did not have covers inserted in all of its outlets.
2. The center is currently equipped with wall outlets with built in covers that prevent access by the children in care.
Plan of Correction: Covers shall be installed into all power strips. In the future, power strips with automatic covers shall be purchased.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-D Description: Based on observation and interview, 2 of 11 rooms indicated that within each grouping of children at least one staff member who meets the qualifications of a program leader or program director was not regularly present.
1. On the date of inspection (09/24/2019), within the Older Toddler room and the Early Preschool room, a qualified program leader or a qualified program director was not regularly present.
2. The Director stated (during an interview conducted on the date of inspection) that the former leads of each of these rooms were no longer in employment and that the center is going forward in hiring their replacements.
Plan of Correction: New staff shall be hired to serve as lead teachers in both of these rooms.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.