Barrett Early Learning Center, Inc.
410 Ridge Street
Charlottesville, VA 22902
Current Inspector: Kelly Adriazola (804) 840-8245
Inspection Date: Sept. 25, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
22VAC40-80 HEARINGS PROCEDURES.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
63.2 Facilities & Programs.
- Technical Assistance:
A supplemental page was provided.
Thank you for your time and assistance with the unannounced renewal inspection conducted on September 25, 2019. The on-site inspection was from 10:00a.m. to 2:55p.m. On this date, at the time of arrival, there were 41 children present in four classrooms and in the care of eight staff members, with one extra staff member available to assist, if needed. There were 43 children enrolled in the program. Five staff members' records and five children?s records were reviewed. All classrooms were toured and two of those classrooms were observed. The medication and medication paperwork were reviewed for three children. There were six staff members and five children interviewed. The exceptions to compliance were noted on the violation notice and the risk ratings were noted on the supplemental page. The current themes for the different age groups were Germs and Autumn. The lunch served met the USDA guidelines and consisted of roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, corn, cantaloupe, and milk. Some items observed and reviewed during the inspection included: required posted information, emergency evacuation, shelter-in-place and lock-down drills, injury reports, first-aid kit and emergency supplies, annual health and fire inspections, large motor musical activities, group time, story time, outdoor play, the playground, hand washing and bathroom procedures, lunch, and nap time.
Please contact your inspector, Diann Reed, if you have questions concerning this inspection, the licensing standards, and/or if I may be of assistance to you (540) 280-0742.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-160-C Description: Based on review of five staff records and verification from the director, three staff members failed to obtain an updated tuberculosis (TB) test/screening within two years of the most recent screening.
1. The record of Staff Member #3 obtained an updated TB screening on 09/08/2019. The date of the last screening was 06/19/2017.
2. The record of Staff Member #4 obtained an updated TB screening on 09/03/2019. The date of the last screening was 06/22/2017.
3. The record of Staff Member #5 obtained an updated TB screening on 09/20/2019. The date of the last screening was 06/22/2017.
4. The director confirmed the TB screenings for the three staff members were late.
Plan of Correction: The staff will create log showing when all TB screenings need to be updated. They will inform the staff 30 days before their updated TB is due to ensure they are completed on time.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-60-A Description: Based on review of five children's records and verification from the director, one child's record did not contain a second person to contact in case of an emergency and the parents of the child could not be reached.
1. The record for Child #1 did not contain the name, address and phone number of a second emergency contact. Date of enrollment was 08/21/2019.
2. The Director confirmed there was only one emergency contact in the child's record.
Plan of Correction: The staff will speak with the parent and obtain a second emergency contact. In the future the staff will ensure a child's enrollment information is complete before their first date of attendance.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-90--A Description: Based on review of five children's records and confirmation from the director, one child's record did not contain the required signed agreements between the parent and the center.
1. The record for Child #2 did not contain documentation that parent had signed the three required parent/center written agreements which include giving the center authorization to seek medical care, agreeing the parent will pick up an ill child asap, and notifying the center within 24 hours if any household member has a communicable disease. Date of enrollment was 08/21/2019.
2. The Director confirmed the parent/center agreements were not in the child's record.
Plan of Correction: The staff will have the parent of the child sign the parent/center agreements. In the future, the center will ensure that all enrollment information is complete before a child's first day of attendance.
Standard #: 63.2(17)-1721.1-B-2 Description: Based on review of four Board Officer records and confirmation from the director, the center failed to have a board officer obtain a national criminal history background check.
1. The record for Board Officer D did not contain the results of a national criminal history check. The board officer was serving in this capacity since 2017.
2. The director confirmed that Board Officer D had the fingerprinting completed on 09/17/2019 but that results had not been received.
Plan of Correction: The director will send the results of the check to the licensing inspector as soon as they are received. In the future, she will treat the board officers just like a new hire and will ensure the national criminal history check is completed before the officer begins serving as an officer.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.