La Petite Academy-Ashburn
20110 Ashburn Village Boulevard
Ashburn, VA 20147
Current Inspector: Maria Robles-Lopez (703) 397-3827
Inspection Date: Sept. 27, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
63.2 Facilities & Programs.
- Technical Assistance:
Discussion was held on the topics of building maintenance, changing pads, cots, background checks, medication, documentation
and staff training.
An unannounced renewal inspection was conducted from approximately 8:45 am through 12:30 pm. During the inspection, 59 children were observed in direct care of 13 staff members. Ratios were in compliance. Children were observed during snack time, engaged in group activities, napping, bottle feeding and outdoor play time. Interactions between the children and staff were positive. A selection of staff and children's records, the physical space, emergency supplies, evacuation drills, attendance records, injury reports, cribs, medications and the Emergency Preparedness Plan were reviewed. Areas of non-compliance are identified in the violation notice. If you have any questions regarding this inspection, please contact the Licensing Inspector, Maria Robles at maria.robles- firstname.lastname@example.org.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-130-B Description: Based on record review, the center did not obtain documentation of additional immunizations once every six months for children under the age of two years.
1) Child #1's (12 months) most current immunization report on file dates 03/12/2019.
2) Child #3's (23 months) most current immunization report on file dates 01/24/2018.
3) Child #6's (12 months) most current immunization report on file dates 11/05/2018.
4) Child #8's (17 months) most current immunization report on file dates 02/15/2019.
Plan of Correction: Child #8?s immunizations have been copied and attached. Children #1, #3, and #6 will be obtained.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-140-A Description: Based on record review, each child did not have a physical examination by or under the direction of a physician within 30 days of their first day of care.
1) Child # 2 (start date 7/13/19), Child #3 (start date 2/5/18), Child #8 (start date 7/30/18)'s records did not have documentation of a physical examination within 30 days of their first day of care.
Plan of Correction: Documentation of physical examinations for Children #2, #3, and #8 will be obtained.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-60-A Description: Based on record review, the center did not maintain a complete record for each child enrolled.
1) Child #5's record did not contain documentation of viewing proof of the child's identity and age.
2) Child #6 and Child #8's records did not contain name and phone number of child's physician.
3) Parent's place of employment was missing from Child #2 and Child #4's records.
4) Parent's work phone number was missing from Child #1, Child #2, Child #4, Child #6 and Child #7's records.
5) Child #2, Child #3 and Child #6's records did not have documentation of name, address, and phone number of two designated people to call in an emergency if a parent cannot be reached.
6) Child #1, Child #3, Child #7 and Child #8's records did not contain documentation of annual updates and confirmation of up-to-date information.
7) Child #11's allergy plan did not contain date of effectiveness.
Plan of Correction: 1.Documentation will be obtained.
2.Children #6 and #8?s medical information has been copied and attached
3.Parent?s place of employment for Children #2 and #4 have been copied and attached
4.Parent?s work phone numbers for children #1, #2, #4, #6, and #7 will all be obtained
5.Emergency contacts for Children #2, #3, and #6 will be added
6.A record will be kept of all annual child information updates.
7.Child #11?s allergy plan had an effectiveness date at time of visit and has been copied and attached.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-210-A Description: Based on record review, staff being utilized as Program Leaders did not have the required qualifications.
1) Staff #1, Staff #4 and Staff #6's foreign educational transcripts could not be used to establish qualifications.
2) Staff #3 and Staff #5's had no documentation of educational transcripts or training to qualify them for Program Leader.
Plan of Correction: Lead Teacher qualifications for Staff Members #1, #3, #5, and #6 have been copied and attached. was on site on day of the visit and located in staff file. #4 will complete additional training.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-240-A Description: Based on record review, the center failed to document that all staff who work directly with children had completed mandatory orientation training, including child abuse and neglect and playground safety, by the end of their first day of employment.
1) Staff #2 (start date 8/23/2018), Staff #3 (start date 4/11/2016), Staff #4 (start date 03/2019) did not have documentation of orientation training by the end of the first day of assuming job responsibilities.
2) Staff #1 (start date 03/2019), Staff #2 (start date 10/03/2018), Staff #4 (start date 08/23/2018), Staff #5 (start date 04/11/2016) and Staff #6's (start date 03/03/2017) records did not have documentation of having completed the Child Abuse and Neglect Training.
3) Staff #1-Staff #6 did not contain documentation of playground safety procedures training.
Plan of Correction: 1.Copies of dated orientation trainings have been copied and attached. The documentation was on site on day of the visit and located in staff file.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-270-A Description: Based on observation, areas and equipment of the center, inside and outside, were not maintained in a clean, safe and operable condition.
1) In the Infant's room #1, tile ceilings showed signs of water damage, indicating a roof leak.
2) In infant room #1, the ac vents were covered with dirt, dust and debris which is a health hazard for children. This vent cover is located at a lower area of the wall, within children's reach. An infant was observed standing by this area.
3) In the Infant's room #2, the plexiglass side on two of the cribs was dirty.
4) In the Two year-old's classroom, paint on the back wall was observed starting to peel. This area is located at a lower area of the wall, within children's reach.
5) In the Preschool 1 room, the water fountain was not working properly. The water fountain was running constantly and would not shut off.
6) In the Toddler and Two's room, spilled milk was observed on the floor.
7) In the Toddler and Two's room, hanging cables from a portable radio were observed accessible to children which present a strangulation and entanglement hazard.
8) In the Toddler playground, 4 bolts on the climbing equipment had rust on them and were accessible to children.
9) In the Toddler playground, a gas meter is covered in rust and is accessible to children.
10) In the Toddler playground, areas of the soffit showed signs of deteriorating and rotting wood.
11) The chain link metal fence on all playgrounds has detached from the safety bottom bar in some areas causing jagged edges and safety concerns for children.
12) Possible tripping hazards were observed through the playground area: multiple exposed tree roots protruded from the dirt and uneven surfaces between the dirt and the concrete walkway.
13) Throughout the center, all floors were observed to be sticky and showing visible signs of dirt, food splatters and build-up. In addition, there were visible urine stains around the toilets in the bathrooms used by children.
14) Throughout the center, walls showed signs of splattered food and paint, children's dirty handprints and missing/peeling paint.
Plan of Correction: 1.A work order has been submitted on 10/3/2019 to replace the ceiling tiles with signs of water damage.
2.A work order has been submitted on 10/3/2019 to install a new vent cover.
3.Crib plexiglass has been cleaned
4.Paint has been touched-up where there was evidence of peeling.
5.A work order has been submitted on 9/30/2019 to repair the drinking fountain in Preschool.
6.Milk was cleaned from floor
7.Radio cords have been secured to the wall, out of the reach of children.
8.A work order has been placed on 10/3/2019 to have the bolts replaced.
9.A work order has been submitted on 10/3/2019 for the gas meter to be covered
10.A work order has been submitted on 10/3/2019 for the soffit and wood to be repaired. Vendor will be on site 10/9/2019 to assess scope of work. We will update the state on expected completion.
11.A work order has been submitted on 9/18/2019 to have the playground fence repaired
12.A work order has been submitted on 9/18/2019 to remove tree-root hazard, and 10/3/2019 to repair uneven concrete surfaces. Vendor will be on site 10/9/2019 to assess scope of work. We will update the state on expected completion
13.A deep clean of the center has been scheduled for 10/12/2019.
14.Walls were cleaned and paint was touched-up.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-280-B Description: Based on observation, hazardous substances were not kept in a locked place using a safe locking method that prevents access by children.
1) In the Two year old room, a cleaning solution was stored in a lower cabinet under the sink with a broken inside latch.
2) In the Preschool 1 room, the door to the utility closet was unlocked, leaving hazardous items accessible to children. This included 7 containers with cleaning solution (4 of these on the floor), a plastic box with powder laundry detergent, and a second box with several laundry packs.
Plan of Correction: 1.A work order has been placed on 9/30/2019 for locks to be placed on all child-accessible cabinets.
2.The door will remain closed and locked at all times.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-280-D Description: Based on observation, cleaning and sanitizing materials were not stored in areas physically separate from food.
1) In the Two year old room, a lower cabinet under the sink stored a cleaning solution bottle next to a plastic box with bags of cereal and other snacks.
Plan of Correction: Snacks will be stored in a separate cabinet from cleaning materials.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-280-H Description: Based on observation and interview, cosmetics, medications, or other harmful agents were stored in areas, purses or pockets that are accessible to children.
1) In the Preschool 1 room, a purse was stored in a cabinet accessible to children. The teacher admitted having vitamins in it.
2) In the Junior K room, a purse was hanging, within children's reach, among the children's backpacks. There were cosmetics inside.
3) In the Pre-K room, a purse was stored in a utility room with a door with no working lock.
Plan of Correction: 1.A designated cabinet for teacher?s items has been designated. Teachers? personal items will remain out of children?s reach at all times.
2.A designated cabinet for teacher?s items has been designated. Teachers? personal items will remain out of children?s reach at all times.
3.A work order has been placed to install a lock on the storage closet door in Pre-K. Date to be corrected: 10/4/2019 (1 & 2), 11/4/2019 (3)
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-290-3 Description: Based on observation, not all electrical outlets had protective covers.
1) In the Toddlers and Twos classroom, 3 out of 4 electrical outlets did not have protective covers.
Plan of Correction: Covers were placed on all electrical outlets.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-510-C Description: Based on document and medication review, the center failed to obtain complete written authorization
for the administration of medication from the child's physician and parent.
1) Child #9 had medication on site with no physician's signature on the authorization form.
2) Child #10 had medication on site and the authorization form did not have information on correct dosage, times to be administered, end date of the authorization, and no physician's signature.
3) Child #11 had medication on site and the authorization form did not have the parent's signature.
Plan of Correction: 1.Medication was sent home with the family. Date corrected: 10/3/2019
2.Medication was immediately disposed of, as the child is no longer enrolled at our academy. Date corrected: 9/27/2019
3.Child?s Parent signed form. Date corrected: 10/3/2019
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-510-G Description: Based on medication and record review, the center failed to ensure that medication was maintained in the original, labeled container.
1) Child #9 and Child #11 had prescription medication on site without their original container.
Plan of Correction: 1.Child #9?s medication is no longer needed, and has been sent home with the family. Child #11?s family has been asked to bring in the original container.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-510-N Description: Based on medication review, the center did not dispose of medication remaining at the center for over 14 days after the expiration of the authorization.
1) Child #10 disenrolled from the center in July 27, 2019. Medication for Child #10 was present at the center on the date of inspection.
Plan of Correction: Medication was immediately disposed of.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-520-C Description: Based on observation, requirements for the use of diaper ointment were not followed.
1) In the Toddlers and Twos classroom, a container with medicated diaper ointment was not labeled with a child's name.
Plan of Correction: All diaper ointment has been labeled with children?s first and last name.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-540-C Description: Based on a direct review of the first aid supplies, the center did not maintain a complete first aid kit.
1)There was only one triangular bandage, and there shall be at least two triangular bandages in the first aid kit.
2) There were no ice packs available. Staff #7 said they ran out of ice packs the day before.
Plan of Correction: 1.A triangular bandage was placed in the office first aid kit. Date corrected: 10/4/19
2.Ice packs were ordered on 10/3/19. Date to be corrected: 10/18/19
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-540-E Description: Based supplies review, one working, battery operated radio was not available during inspection.
1) A battery operated radio was not in working condition because batteries were not charged.
Plan of Correction: Radio has been charged.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-550-B Description: Based on document review, the center did not have a complete emergency evacuation plan.
1) The emergency evacuation plan did not establish an emergency officer and back-up officer and the 24-hour contact telephone number for each.
Plan of Correction: An emergency evacuation plan has been modified and updated, listing an emergency officer, back-up officer, and 24hour contact telephone numbers for each.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-570-A Description: Based on observation and staff interview, the center failed to ensure that when a child is placed in an infant seat or high chair, the protective belt is fastened securely.
1) In the Infant 2 room, 1 out of 4 high chairs did not have a protective belt. Staff stated this chair is used every day.
Plan of Correction: A replacement belt for the chair has been ordered on 10/3/2019. High chair will not be used until belt is replaced.
Standard #: 63.2(17)-1720.1-B-3 Description: Based on record review, the center failed to obtain Central Registry results from VA and out of state.
1) Staff #2's (start date 8/23/2018) Sworn Statement indicated residency in the state of Oregon within the previous 5 years. Staff #2 did not have documentation of a Central Registry Background check result in the state of Oregon.
Plan of Correction: Background check has been completed and included in plan.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. Eligible child care facilities must be fully licensed, licensed exempt and a VDSS subsidy vendor, or a voluntary registered day home and a VDSS subsidy vendor. Only programs enrolled in Virginia Quality will display a rating. Virginia Quality contact information for your region is available at the following link Regional Contacts.