KinderCare Learning Center #000740
5124 Woodmere Drive
Centreville, VA 20120
Current Inspector: Shahana Green (571) 423-6735
Inspection Date: Oct. 24, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
32.1 Report by person other than physician
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
63.2 Facilities & Programs.
- Technical Assistance:
**Discussed the requirement to submit background checks within 10 days for any background check violations.
An unannounced Renewal inspection was conducted from 12:45pm-5:15pm. There were 58 children in the direct care and supervision of 11 staff. A sample size of 5 staff records, 6 children's records, the first aid kit, evacuation drills, emergency materials, the injury prevention log, the playground, and the physical plant were reviewed. The children were observed reading books, playing with toys, and taking a nap. If you have any questions, please contact me at email@example.com .
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-140-A Description: Based on a review of children's records, 3 out of 6 children's records reviewed did not have a physical examination.
1. Child #1 (start date: 6/16/2019) was missing documentation of a physical examination.
2. Child #3 (start date: 3/26/2018) was missing documentation of a physical examination.
3. Child #5 (start date: 8/12/015) was missing documentation of a physical examination.
Plan of Correction: We will ask the parents for the physicals for these children.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-160-C Description: Based on a review of staff records, 2 out of 5 staff records checked did not include a current tuberculosis screening.
1. Staff #3's last tuberculosis screening on file was conducted on 9/23/2017.
2. Staff #5's last tuberculosis screening on file was conducted on 9/8/2017.
Plan of Correction: I will ask them to get a new tuberculosis screening today.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-270-A Description: Based on observation, areas and equipment of the center were not maintained in a clean, safe, and operable condition.
1. In the 3's room, there was a vent on the wall between the window and closet with multiple pieces broken and falling off.
2. In the 3's room, the closet door by where the cots are stacked has multiple large patches of chipped paint.
3. On the playground, there were 4 tricycles with missing pedals.
Plan of Correction: We have a work order in for all of these items.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-350-E-1 Description: Based on observation and staff interview, there was not one staff member for every four children from birth to the age of 16 months.
1. The Infant B classroom had 7 infants (ages 12 months-16 months) with 1 staff member from approximately 1:00pm-1:40pm.
2. At approximately 1:30pm, Staff #4 stated that the other staff member had been on break since 1:00pm.
3. The Director sent an additional staff member to the Infant B classroom at approximately 1:40pm after the Inspector made her aware that the classroom was out of ratio.
Plan of Correction: We will re-train staff on the correct standard to maintain ratios according to the standard and will implement it immediately.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-540-E Description: Based on observation, the center did not have a working, battery-operated radio in the building.
1. The battery-operated radio that the center had was not in working order.
Plan of Correction: We will order a new radio.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-550-D Description: Based on record review, a monthly practice evacuation drill was not complete each month.
1. For September 2019, there was no documentation of an evacuation drill.
Plan of Correction: The evacuation drill for September was not documented, however we did do one and will document it.
Standard #: 22VAC40-191-60-B Description: Based on a review of staff records, all staff members do not have a current completed sworn statement.
1. The last sworn statement on file for Staff #5 was dated 9/5/2014.
Plan of Correction: I will have the employee sign a new one.
Standard #: 22VAC40-191-60-C-2 Description: Based on a review of staff records, the center did not have the central registry findings within 30 days of employment for all staff members.
1. Staff #1 (hire date: 5/7/2018) did not have documentation of central registry findings on file.
2. Staff #4 (hire date: 9/27/2018) did not have documentation of central registry findings on file.
Plan of Correction: I confirmed with OBI that they were processed and they will send within 24-48 hours and I will place it in the employee files.
Standard #: 63.2(17)-1720.1-B-2 Description: Based on a review of staff records, the center did not obtain fingerprint results for all staff.
1. Staff #2 (hire date: 9/6/2017) did not have fingerprint results in their staff record.
Plan of Correction: We will have them put in the staff member's file.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.