Highland Children's House
61 Highland Center Drive
Monterey, VA 24465
Current Inspector: Diann S. Reed (540) 280-0742
Complaint Related: No
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-130-A Description: Based on review of five children's records and verification from the director, the center failed to obtain documentation of physician signed immunization records for three children before the children attended the center.
1. The record for Child #1 did not contain an immunization record for the child showing the child was adequately immunized for the child's age. First date of attendance for the child was 10/28/2019.
2. The record for Child #3 contained an immunization record dated 09/04/2019. The child's first date of attendance was 08/26/2019.
3. The record for Child #4 contained an immunization record dated 10/22/2019. The child's first date of attendance was 09/16/2019.
4. The director reported that she thought she had 30 days from enrollment to obtain a child's immunization record.
Plan of Correction: The director will obtain a signed immunization record for Child #1 as soon as possible. In the future she will not allow a child to attend the center without having obtained a signed immunization record.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-40-G Description: Based on review of five children's records and confirmation from the director, the center failed to obtain documentation of proof of age and identity for two children.
1. The records for Child #1 and Child #2 did not contain documentation from the parents that showed proof of the children's identity and age. Date of enrollment for Child #1 was 10/28/2019 and date of enrollment for Child #2 was 08/26/2019.
2. The director verified that she had not obtained proof of age and identity for the two children.
Plan of Correction: The director obtained proof of age and identity for Child #2 during the inspection and will obtain proof for Child #1 as soon as possible. In the future, she will be sure to obtain proof within seven days of enrollment or contact local law enforcement.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-60-A Description: Based on review of five children's records and discussion with the director, the center failed to obtain all of the required enrollment information regarding emergency contacts for two children.
1. The record for Child #1 did not contain the address for the second person to contact in case of an emergency and the child's parents could not be reached. Date of enrollment was 10/28/2019.
2. The record for Child #3 did not contain the address for the first person to contact in case of an emergency and the child's parents could not be reached. The record did not contain a name, address or phone number for a second emergency contact. Date of enrollment was 09/05/2019.
3. The director confirmed the required information was not in the children's records.
Plan of Correction: The director will speak with the parents of the children and obtain the missing information regarding the emergency contacts. In the future, she will ensure this information is received before a child attends the center.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-560-F Description: Based on observation and confirmation with the director, the center failed to post a menu listing foods to be served for meals and snacks during the current one-week period.
1. The menu posted for the parents to see was dated October 21, 2019 to October 25, 2019. There was no menu posted for the current week of October 28, 2019 to November 1, 2019.
2. The director confirmed the current menu was not posted.
Plan of Correction: During the inspection, the director posted the menu for the week.
Standard #: 63.2(17)-1720.1-B-3 Description: Based on review of four staff records and discussion with the director, there was no completed Out-of-State Child Abuse and Neglect Search for one staff.
1. The record for Staff C did not contain a completed Search of the Child Abuse and Neglect Registry from the state other than Virginia she had lived in within the last five years.
2. The director reported she had sent the request to have the search completed on August 29, 2019 but did not have documentation of her request. The director contacted someone from the state in question and that person stated they had not received the request.
Plan of Correction: The director will send a request to the state as soon as possible and if she has not heard back from the state within 45 days, she will follow up on the request.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. Eligible child care facilities must be fully licensed, licensed exempt and a VDSS subsidy vendor, or a voluntary registered day home and a VDSS subsidy vendor. Only programs enrolled in Virginia Quality will display a rating. Virginia Quality contact information for your region is available at the following link Regional Contacts.