Divine Kare Learning Center
1929 S. Sycamore Street
Petersburg, VA 23805
Current Inspector: Kandra Brown (804) 662-9038
Inspection Date: Oct. 15, 2019
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
32.1 Report by person other than physician
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
63.2 Facilities & Programs.
The licensing inspector conducted an unannounced complaint inspection in response to a complaint that was received by the licensing department on October 7, 2019 regarding allegations of physical plant deficiencies. The inspection was initiated on October 15, 2019 and completed on October 15, 2019. On October 15, 2019, the inspector was on site from 2:20pm to 5:35pm. Interviews with staff were completed, observations were made in the center, and documentation was reviewed. Inspection completed on 11/5/2019 after receiving additional information from an outside agency.
The preponderance of the evidence gathered during the investigation supports the allegation; therefore, the complaint is determined to be valid. In addition to the original complaint, there were also other violations found during the inspection. See the violation notice for more details.
If you have any questions about this inspection, please contact the licensing inspector at (804) 662-9038.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-200-A Complaint related: No Description: Based on observation and interviews, the center did not ensure to have a qualified program director or a qualified back-up program director who meets one of the director qualifications, regularly on site at least 50% of the center's hours of operation.
The center's representative informed the inspector that the previous program director was no longer employed at the center and there was no one qualified to be a program director employed by the center at the time of the inspection.
Plan of Correction: 1. The previous program director separated themselves from the center without proper notice; however, a new program director was interviewed and hired immediately.
2. Have emphasized to the new program director that it is imperative to give ample notice before leaving their position. 3. Person responsible will be the program director.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-270-A Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on observation, the center did not ensure that areas and equipment of the center, were maintained in a clean, safe and operable condition.
1. There was a large molded area under the kitchen sink. The wood and other materials placed under the sink had mold and were deteriorating to the point where there was a hole.
2. The center's plumbing was not working properly in the three compartment sink, which prevented the center staff from properly sanitizing dishes and other kitchen equipment.
Plan of Correction: 1. The wood with ,old and the hole under the kitchen sink is no longer there. This has been corrected with new materials. The plumbing is working properly, and the 32-compartment sink is being used to wash, rinse, and sanitize the dishes and other kitchen equipment.
2. Staff will routinely monitor to ensure that the plumbing is working properly.
3. Persons responsible for monitoring will be the supervisor, program director, and/or administrative assistant based on work schedule.
Violation has been corrected.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-290-3 Complaint related: No Description: Based on observation and interviews, the center did not ensure electrical outlets had protective covers that are of a size that cannot be swallowed by children.
1. There was an uncovered outlet on the lower part of the wall near the sink in the infant classroom.
2. The center's kitchen had four uncovered outlets within the reach of children in care. The inspector observed several preschool children walk through the kitchen. Additionally, the center's representative informed the inspector that the preschool children eat lunch in the kitchen.
Plan of Correction: 1. The outlet on the lower part of the wall in the infant classroom is now covered. The four uncovered outlets in the kitchen within the reach of the children are now covered.
2. Staff has been reminded to put the protective covers back after using the outlet. Checking the outlets to make sure they are covered when not in use will become a part of the hourly building inspection to prevent non-compliance from occurring again.
3. Persons responsible for monitoring this preventive measure will be the supervisor, program director, and/or administrative assistant based on work schedule.
Plan of correction has been implemented.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-F Complaint related: No Description: Based on observation, the center did not ensure that children under 10 years of age always were within actual sight and sound supervision of staff.
The inspector observe the school age children enter the center's kitchen and wait for snack to be served. There was not a staff member in the center's kitchen upon the school age student's arrival. The assigned staff member arrived in the center's kitchen to supervise the children approximately 5 minutes after the children entered.
Plan of Correction: 1. Staff has been notified of the guidelines regarding proper supervision of the children when they are in the kitchen.
2. Closer monitoring of the staff while interacting with the children.
3. Persons responsible for the monitoring will be the supervisor, program director, and/or administrative assistant based on work schedule.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-450-C Complaint related: No Description: Based on observation, the center did not ensure that infant crib sheets were clean and washed daily.
Interviews with the center's infant teacher and center representative revealed that the infant sheets were not washed daily.
Plan of Correction: 1. Infant sheets are being washed daily.
2. Continue to wash infant sheets daily.
3. The center's infant teachers will be responsible for washing the infants' sheets daily.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-500-A Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on observation, the center did not ensure that staff and children's hands shall be washed with soap and running water before and after eating or serving meals or snacks.
The inspector observed the following:
1. The school age children entered the building and ate snack without washing their hands.
2. The school age children ate snack and went outside to play without washing their hands.
3. The center staff served the children snack without washing their hands.
Plan of Correction: 1. Staff has been notified about the guidelines for ensuring that their hands and the children's hands shall be washed with soap and running water before and after eating or serving meals or snacks.
2. Closer monitoring of the staff and continuous training on sanitization.
3. Persons responsible for implementing this measure will be the supervisor and program director based on work schedule.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. Eligible child care facilities must be fully licensed, licensed exempt and a VDSS subsidy vendor, or a voluntary registered day home and a VDSS subsidy vendor. Only programs enrolled in Virginia Quality will display a rating. Virginia Quality contact information for your region is available at the following link Regional Contacts.