Country School House
13316 Braddock Road
Clifton, VA 20124
Current Inspector: Jessica Willis (571) 352-1453
Inspection Date: Nov. 13, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
- Technical Assistance:
Discussed required information for playground safety procedures.
An unannounced renewal inspection was conducted between the hours of 12:20pm- 4:45pm. At the time of entrance, 23 children were in care with the director and 3 staff members present. Children were observed during naptime, handwashing, snack time, singing nursery rhymes, and coloring. A selection of 4 staff and 5 children records, the physical space, emergency supplies, evacuation drills, attendance records, injury reports, medications and the Emergency Preparedness Plan were reviewed. A Subsidy Health and Safety Inspection (SHSI) was also completed on this date. Areas of non-compliance are identified in the violation notice. Please contact me if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 571-352-1453.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-40-K Description: Based on staff interview, the center did not develop written playground safety procedures which included all required information.
1. Staff stated playground procedures are normally posted on the wall but were removed when the wall was painted recently. Staff stated the procedures did not include provisions for active supervision by staff to include positioning of staff in strategic locations, scanning play activities, and circulating among children or method of maintaining resilient surface.
Plan of Correction: I will locate the poster with playground procedures and add the required information.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-60-A Description: Based on record review and staff interview, 5 of 5 children's records did not contain all required information.
1. The records for Child #1, #2, #3, #4, and #5 did not contain documentation of viewing proof of the child's identity and age. The records did not contain name of person viewing proof of the child's identity and age or the date the information was viewed.
Plan of Correction: Corrected during inspection. I will update the form in the parent handbook.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-270-A Description: Based on observation, areas and equipment of the center, outside, were not maintained in a safe and operable condition.
1. Chipped and peeling paint was observed in the playground area on the following:
the steps leading out of the facility on to the playground, the slide, wooden train, swingset in the toddler play area
2. A table located on the playground was damaged. The top layer of the table was separated from the wood on one corner creating a sharp edge.
3. Several wooden planks of the fence surrounding the playground were broken. Protruding nails were observed on the fence.
Plan of Correction: I will look for spray or alternatives to put on peeling paint until it can be re-painted. I have contacted someone about fixing the fence. I will get a plastic cover for the table.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-330-B Description: Based on observation, playground fall zones were not free of hazardous obstacles.
In the toddler area, a climbing apparatus was located within three feet of the bottom of the slide chute.
Plan of Correction: Corrected during inspection.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-560-G Description: Based on observation and staff interview, the center did not ensure food brought from home was clearly dated.
4 of 4 lunchboxes were not labeled with a date. Staff stated dates were not put on the lunchboxes.
Plan of Correction: All lunchboxes or containers inside of the lunchboxes will be dated.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.