First Discovery Academy
5355 Lila Lane
Virginia beach, VA 23464
Current Inspector: Heather Harrell (757) 334-4329
Inspection Date: Dec. 3, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
63.2 Facilities & Programs.
- Technical Assistance:
Technical assistance was provided in the following areas of the standards: 22VAC40-191 (Background checks); 22VAC40-185-(2)-60 (Children's records); 22VAC40-185-(2)-70 (Staff records);-185-(4)-330 (Play areas); 22VAC40-185-(5)-350 (Supervision)
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted on 12/3/19 from 10:20am - 12:40pm. During the inspection there were 66 children ages two months old through five years old in care with 14 staff. Children were observed participating in various activities in the classroom, playing outside, eating lunch, and during rest period. Records were reviewed for six children and seven staff. Medication, emergency procedures and emergency supplies were reviewed during the inspection. Areas of non-compliance are identified on the violation notice and were discussed during the exit interview.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-60-A Description: Based on a review of five children's records and interview, it was determined that the facility did not ensure that they maintain and keep at the center a complete record for each child enrolled that contains all required information.
1. The record for child #4 did not indicate whether or not the child previously attended child care, and did not contain documentation for viewing the proof of identity.
2. The record for child #5 did not contain information for the parents place of employment.
3. The record for child #6 did not indicate whether or not the child previously attended child care.
4. Staff #6 (Program Director) confirmed that the records for child #3 and child #4 did not contain all of the required information.
Plan of Correction: The facility responded: We will have the parents of child #4, child #5 and child #6 update the records.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-270-A Description: Based on observation and interviews, it was determined that the facility did not ensure that all areas and equipment of the center shall be maintained in a clean, safe and operable condition.
1. The top rail of the exterior fence on the large playground has become detached.
2. Staff #8 (Program Director) confirmed the fence was not in a safe and operable condition.
Plan of Correction: The facility responded: The fence will be repaired by maintenance staff.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-500-A Description: Based on observation and interviews, it was determined that the licensee did not ensure that all staff wash their hands with soap and running water after any contact with body fluids.
1. In the Waddler classroom, staff #2 was observed assisting a child with wiping their nose. However, staff #2 did not wash her hands before assisting other children.
2. Staff #2 confirmed that she did not wash her hands after wiping a child's nose.
Plan of Correction: The facility responded: We will complete a retraining with the staff on when we are required to wash hands and the proper hand washing techniques.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.