Galilee Montessori School
3928 Pacific Avenue
Virginia beach, VA 23451
Current Inspector: Rene Old (757) 404-1784
Inspection Date: Dec. 3, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
- Technical Assistance:
*The renewal application was discussed and reviewed.
*Two shelter-in-place practice drills are required annually.
*Shared space with the church is required to meet all safety requirements to include locking up of chemicals.
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted on 12/03/2019 from 9:40 am - 1:05 pm. At the time of the tour there were 70 children in care with nine teaching staff and two administrative staff. The children ranged in age from toddler - five years. Children were observed during morning program time and nap.
Records were reviewed for nine children and four staff. Medication was reviewed for five children in care.
Violations were observed in five parts of the CDC standards and were reviewed with the program director at the conclusion of the inspection.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-60-A Description: Based on record review, the center failed to ensure that children's records contain all of the required elements.
1. Five of nine children's records reviewed lacked documentation of the first date of attendance.
2. The record for child 1 lacked documentation of the address for the second designated emergency contact.
Plan of Correction: 1. Corrected. Entrance dates documented on child's records.
2. Child withdrew on 12/6/19. No action available to be corrected.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-70-A Description: Based on record review and interview, the center failed to ensure that staff records contain all of the required elements.
1. The record for staff 1 lacked documentation of two or more references as to character and reputation as well as competency were checked before employment.
2. The record for staff 1 and staff 2 lack documentation to demonstrate that the individual possesses the orientation training required by the job position.
3. The program director confirmed that the above information was not on file for staff 1 and staff 2.
Plan of Correction: 1. In process currently of completing reference checks. 12/20/19
2. Orientation for staff 1 & 2 is completed with signed acknowledgment. 12/9/19
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-270-A Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that outside areas of the center shall be maintained in a safe condition.
1. The landscape sheeting on the preschool playground is exposed around the metal climbing structure
a. The exposed sheeting measures approximately seven feet in length and is a trip hazard.
Plan of Correction: 1. Landscape sheeting trimmed and no longer exposed.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-330-A Description: Based on a review of the facility playground the center failed to ensure that when playground equipment is provided the fall zone shall encompass sufficient area to include the child's trajectory in the event of a fall when the equipment is in use.
*The use zone requirement for stationary equipment is six feet on all sides of the equipment.
1. The metal dome climber located on the preschool playground has been placed approximately 31 inches from the fence on one side.
2. The slide located on the second preschool playground has been placed approximately 44 inches from the fence at the rear climbing ladder side.
3. The triangular rock wall, located on the second preschool playground, has been placed approximately 45 inches from the fence on one side.
Plan of Correction: 1. Installed in current location to allow for unreconstructed movement by children while at recess. Staff closely supervise while children on apparatus. AV requested awaiting paperwork.
2. Slide installed at location due to tree root underneath that became a trip hazard. Tree root now covered by slide & no longer an issue. AV paperwork requested.
3. Installed at location for same reason as stated for #1 above. AV paperwork requested.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-450-A Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure cots used by children during the designated rest period shall have linens consisting of a top cover and a bottom cover or a one-piece covering which is open on three edges.
1. The preschool children observed napping at approximately 12:50 pm were not provided a bottom cover for their cot.
2. The program director stated that children were not provided with a bottom cover because the cots were sanitized daily after nap.
Plan of Correction: 1. Bottom fitted cot sheets were purchased & will be on cots when arrive, for use during nap.
2. Cots remain being sanitized after each use.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-510-E Description: Based on medication review, the center failed to ensure that medication shall be labeled with the child's name.
1. Two bottles of over-the-counter medication for child 2 and child 3 were not labeled wtih the name of the each child.
Plan of Correction: Medications for over-the-counter were clearly labeled with the associated child's name.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-510-G Description: Based on medication review, the center failed to ensure that prescription medication is maintained in the original, labeled container.
1. A prescription medication for child 3 was not maintained in the original labeled container with the prescriber's instructions pertaining to dosage, frequency, and manner of administration attached.
2. The program director confirmed that original container with the prescription label attached was not available.
Plan of Correction: Received prescription label for documented medication. Label placed in locked medication bag with medication and medical action plan.
Standard #: 63.2(17)-1721.1-B-3 Description: Based on record review and interview, the center failed to obtain a copy of the results of a search of the central registry maintained by any other state in which the individual has resided in the preceding five years for any founded complaint of child abuse or neglect against him.
1. There is no central registry check on file for staff 3 from the State of Florida.
a. Staff 3 indicated that she resided in the State of Florida within the past five years.
b. Staff 3 has an employment date of 08/31/2015.
2. Staff 3 verified that a central registry check had not been requested from the State of Florida.
Plan of Correction: Submission for background check emailed on 12/9/19.
Link provided on VDSS for FL background check was incorrect. Took several attempts & days to locate correct document. Document was submitted via email and results obtained on 12/09/2019.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. Eligible child care facilities must be fully licensed, licensed exempt and a VDSS subsidy vendor, or a voluntary registered day home and a VDSS subsidy vendor. Only programs enrolled in Virginia Quality will display a rating. Virginia Quality contact information for your region is available at the following link Regional Contacts.