BUILDING BLOCKS PRESCHOOL AND CHILDCARE CENTER
844 & 848 Jerome Avenue
Norfolk, VA 23518
Current Inspector: Heather Harrell (757) 334-4329
Inspection Date: Dec. 12, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
63.2 Facilities & Programs.
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted on 12/12/19 from 10:25am until 1:20pm. At the time of the tour, there were 53 children in care with 14 staff present. A sample of 5 children's records and 7 new staff records were reviewed. Children were observed participating in morning learning activities, engaging in free play, eating lunch and resting quietly during nap time. Hand washing and table sanitizing procedures were also observed. Medication, first aid and emergency supplies, documentation of emergency practice drills, children's injury reports and center postings were reviewed. Three violations in the areas of administration, physical plant and background checks are identified on the violation notice and were discussed with the center director during the exit interview.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-70-A Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure that each staff record contains all the required information.
1. The records for staff 2 (date of hire: 8/20/19), staff 3 (date of hire: 11/11/19) and staff 4 (date of hire: 8/26/19) contain documentation of only one reference as to character and reputation as well as competency were checked before employment, where two are required.
2. The center director confirmed that the two required reference checks for staff 2, staff 3 and staff 4 were not completed before their hire date.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following:The center director will ensure that the second reference checks for staff 2, staff 3 and staff 4 are completed.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-270-A Description: Based on observation, the center did not ensure that areas and equipment of the center, inside and outside, shall be maintained in a clean, safe and operable condition.
1. In the preschool boys bathroom, there is a ceiling tile missing above the toilets, with exposed wires and pipes. The bottom of the door frame is also missing and has exposed jagged edges.
2. In the pre-k boys bathroom, the lid to the toilet is missing.
3. On the playground outside of the school-aged classroom, the metal covering on two of the window sills are broken and falling off with sharp and jagged edges.
4. The center director confirmed that the items listed above are not currently in a safe and operable condition.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: A work order will be placed to have the necessary repairs made.
Standard #: 22VAC40-191-60-C-2 Description: Based on record review and interview, it was determined that the facility did not deny continued employment of a staff who did not have a search of the central registry finding within 30 days of employment.
1. The record for staff 1 (date of hire: 10/22/10), working during the inspection, does not contain documentation of a completed search of the central registry finding.
2. The center director confirmed that the results of the central registry search had not been received for staff 1.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: We contacted the Office of Background Investigations and are awaiting the results of the central registry search to be emailed to us.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. Eligible child care facilities must be fully licensed, licensed exempt and a VDSS subsidy vendor, or a voluntary registered day home and a VDSS subsidy vendor. Only programs enrolled in Virginia Quality will display a rating. Virginia Quality contact information for your region is available at the following link Regional Contacts.