Little Learners Preschool
350 South Main Street
Amherst, VA 24521
Current Inspector: Victoria E Dawson (540) 309-2674
Inspection Date: Dec. 17, 2019
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
An unannounced renewal inspection was completed on 12/17/19. There were 22 children present with five staff supervising. Five children's records and eight staff records were reviewed. All policies and procedures were reviewed. No medications were at the center.
The inspector arrived at the center at 9:15 am and departed at 3:30 pm.
The children were observed during morning snack, during a special movie time, during special holiday games, during lunch, and during nap.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-160-C Description: Based on record review and interview, the center failed to ensure that at least every two years from the last tuberculosis (TB) screening or test that results of a follow-up TB test or screening were completed.
1. There was no current TB test observed in the record for staff #7. Staff #7 stated during the inspection that she did not have a current TB test. The last documentation of a TB test for staff #7 was completed in 2007.
Plan of Correction: Staff #7 will complete a TB test/screening and update it at least every two years.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-40-K Description: Based on review of all written policies and procedures and interviews with staff, the center failed to ensure that there were written playground safety procedures.
1. There were no written procedures addressing playground safety observed in the written policies and procedures provided by the administrator/owner. Staff were asked if there were any written procedures and were unaware of any procedures in writing. The Standards require written playground safety procedures that provision for active supervision by staff to include positioning of staff in strategic locations, scanning play activities, and circulating among children and the method of maintaining resilient surface.
Plan of Correction: The procedures will be developed in writing and added to the handbooks.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-280-E Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that cleaning materials and insecticides/pesticides shall be stored in areas physically separate from each other.
1. There was an aerosol spray can of ant killer insecticide observed in a small locked cabinet with various other cleaning supplies (disinfectant spray, cleaners, etc) in a downstairs classroom.
Plan of Correction: This was corrected during the inspection. The spray was moved to a locked utility closet which did not contain cleaning supplies.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-280-G Description: Based on observation and interview, the center failed to ensure that hazardous substances not kept in original containers were labeled to clearly indicate their contents.
1. There were two generic, clear spray bottles observed at the center - one downstairs, one upstairs - that were used to clean the tables for snacks and lunch. The staff were asked of the contents and the staff stated soap and water mixture was in the bottles. The bottles did not have any label to indicate the contents.
Plan of Correction: This was corrected during the inspection. The bottles were labeled.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-420-A Description: Based on review of written policies and procedures, the center failed to ensure that all required policies and procedures were provided to the parents in writing before the child's first date of attendance.
1. The current, 2019 school year, parent handbook was reviewed. The following required policies/procedures were not observed in writing: the general daily schedule, procedures when a child is not picked up after closing, procedures when a child is not picked up for emergency situations including but not limited to inclement weather or natural disasters.
Plan of Correction: The owner/administrator will add the required policies/procedures to the handbook.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-550-B Description: Based on review of the emergency plan, the center failed to ensure that all required components were included.
1. The emergency plan for the center was missing the following required components: establishment of an emergency officer and back-up officer with 24 hour contact telephone number for each, shelter-in-place procedures to include assembly points, head counts, primary and secondary means of access, facility containment procedures, staff training requirement, drill frequency, plan review and update.
Plan of Correction: The administrator/owner will add the required components for the emergency plan to the handbooks.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. Eligible child care facilities must be fully licensed, licensed exempt and a VDSS subsidy vendor, or a voluntary registered day home and a VDSS subsidy vendor. Only programs enrolled in Virginia Quality will display a rating. Virginia Quality contact information for your region is available at the following link Regional Contacts.