Bundle of Joy VI, Inc.
7620 Left Flank Road
Mechanicsville, VA 23116
Current Inspector: LaTasha Smith (804) 588-2362
Inspection Date: Dec. 23, 2019 and Jan. 21, 2020
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
32.1 Report by person other than physician
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
63.2 Facilities & Programs.
The licensing inspector conducted an unannounced inspection on Monday, December 23, 2019 in response to a complaint that the Department received on November 19, 2019 regarding supervision and staff qualifications. The inspector was on site at the center on December 23, 2019 from 2:58pm to 5:08pm. Interviews with staff were completed, observations were made in the center, and documentation was reviewed. The inspector completed additional interviews on January 21, 2020.
The preponderance of the evidence gathered during the investigation supports the allegation; therefore, the complaint is determined to be valid. In addition to the original complaint, there were also violations found during the inspection regarding staff records. See the violation notice for more details.
If you have any questions about this inspection, please contact the licensing inspector at (804) 662-9038.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-70-A Complaint related: No Description: Based on record review, the center did not ensure four of six staff records contained all of the required documentation.
1. The record of staff #1 (start date: 11/7/19) did not have documentation of orientation training.
2. The record of staff #2 (start date: 5/13/19) did not have the required 24 hours of training required by their job position.
3. The record of staff #4 (start date: 12/10/19) did not have documentation of two or more references as to character and reputation as well as competency.
Plan of Correction: As the director, I personally conducted orientation. The signed paper was not found in the file. Staff will receive all necessary training for their positions. All references are on file now - Director
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-A Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on interviews conducted on 1/21/2020, the center did not provide adequate care and protection for an infant in care that received another child's breast milk.
1. Interviews with staff revealed, on 11/13/2019, staff #1 fed child #1 (3-month-old) about two to three ounces of breast milk belonging to child #2.
2. An interview with staff #1 revealed that on 11/13/2019, staff #1 was holding a child. Staff #2 gave staff #1 a bottle containing breast milk belonging to another child. Staff #1 stated, they could not remember how much milk the child drank before staff #2 notified them that the wrong bottle was handed to them.
3. An interview with staff #2 revealed that on 11/13/2019, staff #2 gave staff #1 child #2's bottle to feed child #1. Staff #2 also stated that when they realized child #1 was being fed the wrong bottle they immediately notified staff #1. Staff #1 immediately took the bottle out of child 1's mouth and child #1 drank about two to three ounces of breastmilk belonging to child #2. Staff #2 also stated that the bottles have color coded labels, and on that day child #1 had orange labeled bottles.
4. An interview with staff #3 revealed that on 11/13/2019, staff #2 gave staff #1 child #2's bottle to feed child #1. Staff #2 also stated that when staff #1 realized child #1 was being fed the wrong bottle they immediately stopped feeding child #1 and child #1 drank about two ounces of breastmilk belonging to child #2.
Plan of Correction: All infant staff have been retrained on feeding procedures. -Director
Standard #: 22VAC40-191-60-C-2 Complaint related: No Description: Based on record review, the center did not ensure one of six staff records contained documentation of central registry results by the end of the 30th day of employment.
The record of staff #5 (start date: 9/11/19) did not have documentation of central registry results.
Plan of Correction: Mailed to DSS according to regulations. Multiple phone calls had been made. I contacted a supervisor, currently on file. - Director
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.