Braddock Street United Methodist Early Learning Center
103 South Braddock Street
Winchester, VA 22601
Current Inspector: Barbara Workman
Inspection Date: Feb. 3, 2020
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
An unannounced non-mandated focused monitoring inspection was completed on 02/03/2020 from 9:55 A.M.-1:00 P.M. The purpose of the inspection was for determining compliance to previous violations. There were 67 children attendance with seventeen staff, two additional floater, and one administrator present. The records for four staff, three children, over the counter medication and documentation, one medication and required documentation, classroom observations and required posted information were reviewed. The children were observed during outdoor playtime, behavioral guidance, transitions from playground to the classroom, literacy activities, fine motor activity of practice cutting with scissors, color sorting activity, math activities infant feeding, diapering, and handwashing. Exception to compliance are noted on the violation notice.
If you have questions or concerns contact the licensing inspector at (540)-430-9257 for further assistance.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-160-A Description: Based on a review of staff files, the center failed to obtain a negative tuberculosis screening within 21 days of employment.
1. Staff #1's tuberculosis screening was dated 12/11/19. Date of employment for Staff #1 was 11/11/2019.
2. Staff verified the date of the tuberculosis screening and the date of employment for Staff #1.
Plan of Correction: New staff shall be asked to set up an appointment at the local health department before they are brought on to work their first day at the center. They will not be allowed to work unless this is scheduled and within the two week window.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-280-B Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that all hazardous materials were kept in a locked location.
1. In Classroom #1 the cabinet that contained Great Value Disinfectant Wipes, and three bottles of Great Value Disinfectant Spray was not locked. There was a locking mechanism on the cabinet, but the mechanism was not locked when the licensing inspector was in the classroom.
2. The warning label for the Disinfectant Wipes and Disinfectant Spray stated "keep out of the reach of children, and hazardous to humans and animals."
3. Staff verified that the locking mechanism was not locked and that the cabinet contained the cleaning products.
Plan of Correction: Staff will be retrained on the storage of hazardous materials, to include locking them up and keeping them secure.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-570-E Description: Based on observation, the center failed to date all infant bottles.
1. In Classroom #2 in the refrigerator there were three bottles on the top side shelve that were not labeled with the date.
2. Staff verified that the bottles did not have the date labeled on them.
Plan of Correction: Staff shall be retrained to label and date bottles as they come into the center, and place them in proper storage. They will individually check to ensure each bottle is labeled upon arrival in the classroom.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. Eligible child care facilities must be fully licensed, licensed exempt and a VDSS subsidy vendor, or a voluntary registered day home and a VDSS subsidy vendor. Only programs enrolled in Virginia Quality will display a rating. Virginia Quality contact information for your region is available at the following link Regional Contacts.