Columbia Baptist Child Development Center
103 West Columbia Street
Falls church, VA 22046
Current Inspector: Stacy Doyle (571) 835-0386
Inspection Date: Jan. 24, 2020
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
An investigation was conducted in response to a complaint that was received by the licensing office on January 22, 2020 regarding allegations of the center being out of staff to children ratio in the Toddler classroom. Staff interviews were conducted, classroom observations were made and documentation reviewed. The information gathered during this investigation supports the allegations, so the complaint is determined to be valid. See the Violation Notice for findings. Please complete the columns for "Plan of Correction" and "Date to be Corrected" for each violation cited on the violation notice, and then return a signed and dated copy to the licensing office within 5 business days of receipt. If you have any questions you may contact me at Stacy.Doyle@dss.virginia.gov or 571-835-0386.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-50-A Complaint related: No Description: Based on observation, staff and children records were not treated confidentially.
1. The supplemental page from the inspection dated 11/19/2019 was posted on the bulletin board for viewing and contained confidential information, including children's names.
Plan of Correction: Supplemental page removed from the bulletin board.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-350-D Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on interviews and review of documents, the center did not maintain the required supervision ratio during the designated rest period. The ratio of staff to children may be double the number of children to each staff required by subdivisions E 2 through 4 and 7 of this section, of one staff member for every ten children for children ages 16 months old to two years.
1. On 1/22/2020 during naptime, the 18 month classroom was over ratio from approximately 1:00 p.m. to 3:15p.m. Staff C stated there were 12 children with 1 teacher from 1:00pm to 3:00 p.m.
2. On 1/22/2020, the class attendance and staff coverage sheet document the 18 month classroom being over ratio from approximately 1:00pm to 3:00pm with 12 children and 1 teacher.
Plan of Correction: During the center's hours of naptime, the program director shall maintain staff to children ratios.
Every 30 minutes, during naptime, teachers will conduct staff to child ratios count.
The PM Lead teacher, will maintain supervision of staff to child ratio and provide immediate supervision if needed.
The PM Lead teacher will document staff to child ratios.
When the PM Lead teacher and/or program director provide supervision, the teacher and/or program director will record their name accordingly.
Teachers will document staff to child ratio.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-350-E-2 Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on interviews and review of documents, the center did not maintain the required supervision ratio of one staff member for every five children for children ages 16 months old to two years.
1. On 1/17/2020, three classrooms were combined for ages 18 month, 2 years and 2.5 years. The class attendance and staff coverage sheets document the group being over ratio during the following approximate times:
8:20 a.m. ? 8:23 a.m. 17 children with 3 staff
8:23 a.m. ? 8:25 a.m. 19 children with 3 staff
8:25 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. 20 children with 3 staff
8:33 am ? 8:40 a.m. 22 children with 3 staff
2. On 1/17/2020, at approximately 8:40am, the class for 2 year olds left and the classes for 18 months and 2.5 years remained combined. The class attendance and staff coverage sheets document the group being over ratio during the following approximate times:
8:40 a.m. ? 8:54 a.m. 17 children with 3 staff
8:54 a.m. ? 9:00 a.m. 18 children with 3 staff
3. Two staff stated they had been over the 1:5 ratio from approximately 8:00am to 9:00am on 1/17/2020 and all three classes stayed combined in the big room until 8:40 a.m.
4. On 1/21/2020, three classrooms were combined for ages 18 months, 2 years and 2.5 years. The class attendance and staff coverage sheets document the group being over ratio during the following approximate times:
8:19 a.m. to 8:23 a.m. 16 children with 3 staff
8:23 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. 18 children with 3 staff
8:40 a.m. to 8:44 a.m. 26 children with 5 staff
8:44 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. 30 children with 5 staff
5. On 1/22/2020, three classrooms were combined for ages 18 months, 2 years and 2.5 years. The class attendance and staff coverage sheets document the group being over ratio during the following approximate times:
8:13 a.m. ? 8:15 a.m. 16 children with 3 staff
8:15 a.m. ? 8:24 a.m. 18 children with 3 staff
8:24 am ? 8:30 a.m. 23 children with 3 staff
8:33 am ? 8:40 a.m. 27 children with 5 staff
8:40 am ? 8:46 a.m. 28 children with 5 staff
8:46 am ? 8:49 a.m. 30 children with 5 staff
8:49 am ? 8:55 a.m. 31 children with 5 staff
8:55 am ? 9:00 a.m. 33 children with 5 staff
6. Two staff confirmed the combined group was over ratio on 1/22/2020 from approximately 8:15a.m.-8:40 a.m. on 1/22/2020. Staff D stated the three classes combined until 8:40am and then they split classes, but were over ratio again and reported it to the office.
Plan of Correction: The AM Lead teacher will maintain supervision of staff to child ratio and provide immediate supervision if needed.
The AM Lead teacher will document staff to child ratio.
When the AM Lead teacher and/or program director provide supervision, the teacher and/or program director will record their name accordingly.
By 8:00am, children will separate into their age-appropriate classrooms.
Standard #: 22VAC40-80-120-E-5 Complaint related: No Description: Based on observation and interview, the center failed to place a copy of the Notice of the Commissioner's intent to take any actions enumerated in subdivisions B 1 through B 7 of ? 63.2-1709.2 of the Code of Virginia in a prominent place at each public entrance of the licensed premises to advise consumers of serious or persistent violations.
1. The Notice of Intent dated 12/12/2019 was not posted at the Center.
2. Staff A confirmed the notice of Intent dated 12/128/2019 was not posted.
Plan of Correction: Notice of Intent Posted.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. Eligible child care facilities must be fully licensed, licensed exempt and a VDSS subsidy vendor, or a voluntary registered day home and a VDSS subsidy vendor. Only programs enrolled in Virginia Quality will display a rating. Virginia Quality contact information for your region is available at the following link Regional Contacts.