JABA Shining Star Preschool
674 Hillsdale Drive
Charlottesville, VA 22901
Current Inspector: Barbara Workman (540) 430-9257
Inspection Date: Feb. 19, 2020 and Feb. 26, 2020
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2 Facilities & Programs.
An unannounced renewal inspection was completed on 02/19/2020 from 8:50 A.M.-11:30 A.M, and on 02/26/2020 from 8:55 A.M.-10:45 A.M. At the time of the inspection 23 children were in care with four staff present. Six children records, five staff records,six agent background checks, one medication and required documentation, fire inspection, health inspection, first aid kits,evacuation drills, emergency supplies, emergency plan and posted required information were reviewed. Children were observed during free choice activities, handwashing, story time, center time, an special guest speaker was visiting the pre-k classroom, an art activity, center time, behavioral guidance, and transition lunchtime. The exceptions to compliance are noted on the violation notice.
If you have any questions or concerns contact the licensing inspector at (540)-430-9257 for further assistance.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-160-C Description: Based on a review of staff files, the center failed to ensure that at least every two years from the date of the initial screening or testing that staff shall submit the results of a follow-up tuberculosis screening.
1. Staff #3 last documented tuberculosis screening on file was dated 09/01/2017.
2. Staff verified the date of the tuberculosis screening, and that a new screening had not been completed.
Plan of Correction: Staff # 3 has been scheduled for a tuberculosis screening.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-60-A Description: Based on review of children files, the center failed to ensure that each child enrolled had all required information in their record.
1. Child #4 file did not contain complete emergency addresses for the two emergency contacts. Date of enrollment for Child #4 was 09/09/2019.
2. Staff verified that the record did not contain complete emergency addresses for the emergency contacts.
Plan of Correction: Administration contacted the parent to obtain the complete address. In the future administration will review all paperwork when it is brought in by the parent to ensure all required information is obtained.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-290-3 Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that all electrical outlets shall have protective covers.
1. In Classroom #2 there was an electrical outlet that did not have a protective cover.
2. Staff verified that the electrical outlet did not have a protective cover. Staff stated they had used the computer and forgot to place the protective cover back in the outlet.
Plan of Correction: Administration will remind staff that all outlets shall be covered. Opening staff will be responsible for completing a walk-thru to ensure all outlets are covered.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-330-B Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that all playground equipment with moving parts or climbing apparatus have the required amount of 6 inches depth of resilient surfacing.
1. The playground structure on the playground had no resilient surfacing at the bottom of both slides. The mulch had disintegrated and bare ground was showing.
2. Staff verified that there was no mulch at the bottom of the slides and that the mulch had disintegrated.
Plan of Correction: Administration has placed a work order for new mulch. A volunteer group is scheduled to come help spread the mulch.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-500-B Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that a nonabsorbent surface for diapering or changing was being used.
1. The licensing inspector observed that the changing table in the restroom was covered with a fitted sheet over the changing pad. The sheet was soiled and dirty.
2. Staff verified that the there was a fitted sheet on the changing pad, and that the sheet was soiled and dirty.
Plan of Correction: Staff removed the sheet from the changing pad. The changing pad will remain uncovered and cleaned and disinfected after each diaper use.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-510-E Description: Based on review of medications, prescription medications were not maintained in the original, labeled container.
1. Child 1M had an emergency medication that did not have a prescription label. The medication was not labeled with the name of the medication, dosage, and time to be given.
2. Staff confirmed that there was not a prescription label for the medication, and that it was not labled with the name of the medication, dosage, and time to be given.
Plan of Correction: The medication was sent home and administration asked parents to provide the medication with a prescription label upon return.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-520-A Description: Based on review of over-the-counter skin products, the center failed to ensure that over-counter-skin products shall not be kept beyond the expiration date.
1. There was a bottle of Equate Kids Sunscreen in the restroom that had expired in January 2020.
2. Staff verified that the sunscreen had expired.
Plan of Correction: The sunscreen was given to the parents at pick up time. Administration will implement a monthly check of all over the counter skin products to ensure they are within date.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-550-D Description: Based on review of evacuation drills, the center failed to ensure that a minimum of two-shelter-in-place practice drills per year were completed.
1. There was no documentation of shelter-in-place drills being completed for the calendar year 2019.
2. Staff verified that there were no shelter-in-place drill completed for the calendar year 2019.
Plan of Correction: Administration will plan accordingly to have two shelter in place drills completed this calendar year.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.