Happy Feet Early Learning and Child Center
37 Ellsworth Street
Martinsville, VA 24112
Current Inspector: Rebecca Forestier (540) 309-2835
Inspection Date: Feb. 27, 2020
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
An unannounced, non-mandated, focused inspection was conducted on 02/27/2020. There were 25 children, ages 4 months-11 years, and 7 staff members present during the inspection. Five children's records and seven staff records were reviewed during the inspection. Previous areas of non-compliance were also reviewed to verify corrections. Staff stated that there is no medication at the facility. The inspector, the Licensing Administrator and an Associate Director Senior arrived at the facility at 2:05 p.m. and departed at 5:30 p.m. For more information contact Becky Forestier at 540-309-2835.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-60-A Description: REPEAT VIOLATION
Based on record review and discussion with the staff, the facility failed to ensure that the separate record for each child enrolled shall contain all of the elements as required by the standards.
1. The record for Child #1 did not contain a physical examination.
2. The record for Child #2 did not contain additional immunization once every 6 months for children under the age of two years.
3. The record for Child #3 did not contain the name, address and phone number of two designated people to call in an emergency if a parent cannot be reached; one of the addresses for the designated people was incomplete.
4. The record for Child #5 did not contain the following information: the name, address and phone number of two designated people to call in an emergency if a parent cannot be reached (both of the addresses for the designated people were incomplete), information regarding allergies and intolerance to food, medication, or any other substances, and actions to take in an emergency situation, and did not contain a physical examination.
Plan of Correction: The center will contact each parent to retrieve the information that was missing. The center will make sure that all documents are received prior to enrolling students.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-70-A Description: REPEAT VIOLATION
Based on record review and discussion with the staff, the facility failed to ensure that staff records contain all of the elements as required by the standards,
1. The record for Staff #5 did not contain the following information: written information to demonstrate that the individual possesses the orientation training required by the job position and documentation that two or more references as to character and reputation as well as competency were checked before employment (if a reference is taken over the phone documentation of the date of contact shall be included); the reference checks did not include a date of contact.
2. The record for Staff #6 did not contain written information to demonstrate that the individual possesses the orientation training required by the job position.
Plan of Correction: The center will review staff files and correct all corrections. The center will make sure all orientation files will be filed as of end of the week an employee starts.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-270-A Description: REPEAT VIOLATION
Based on observations and discussion with the staff, the facility failed to ensure that areas and equipment of the center, inside and outside, shall be maintained in a clean, safe and operable condition.
1. The glass in the window at the top of the stairs is broken and covered by a piece of Plexiglas; the Plexiglas is loose and flexible and could easily be pushed through the broken piece of glass in the window.
2. The red tube on the large piece of playground equipment is cracked; the cracked plastic is sharp and creates a pinch point.
3. The exterior paint on the windowsill outside of the Infant Room is peeling; the peeling paint is accessible to the children playing on the playground. Children were observed playing on the playground during the 02/27/2020 inspection.
4. The waterspout on the side of the building near the rear entrance to the playground is sharp and rusted at the bottom; the sharp rusted piece is approximately ankle height and could potentially snag skin. The children were observed walking passed this waterspout to enter the playground during the 02/27/2020 inspection.
Plan of Correction: The center director has spoken to the landlord and they stated they will have window fixed within 2 weeks. The center will repair the tunnel. The center will have the exterior window painted. The center will fix the water spout so that it is not hazardous.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-350-E-1 Description: Based on observations and discussion with staff, the facility failed to ensure that the staff to child ratio for children from birth to the age of 16 months, one staff member for every four children, is met.
Evidence: There were 7 children, ages 13 months-23 months, in the care of 2 staff members in the Infant/Toddler Room during the 02/27/2020 inspection. Staff #6 was observed leaving the classroom on 4 different occasions; during this time Staff #8 was the only staff member in the classroom with 7 children.
Plan of Correction: The center will provide training on the importance of staying at ratio at all times.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-350-E-3 Description: Based on observations and discussion with the staff, the facility failed to ensure that the staff to child ratio for two year old children, one staff member for every eight children, is met.
Evidence: There were a total of 9 children, ages 2 years-4 years, in the care of one staff member during the 02/27/2020 inspection. Staff #9 stated that the 2 year old class and the Pre-K classes had been combined for the day due to a staff absence.
Plan of Correction: The center will continue to staff for additional help and remind teachers to stay within ratio.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-430-I Description: Based on observations and discussion with the staff, the facility failed to ensure that if combs, toothbrushes or other personal articles are used, they shall be individually assigned.
Evidence: There were 2 pacifiers in the Infant Room that were not labeled to ensure that personal articles are individually assigned.
Plan of Correction: The center will develop a more effective way to keep names on all personal items.
Standard #: 22VAC40-191-60-C-2 Description: REPEAT VIOLATION
Based on record review and discussion with staff, the facility failed to obtain the findings from a search of the central registry within 30 days of employment.
Evidence: The record for Staff #2 had a documented hire date of 01/24/2020; the results of the central registry were not available for review during the 02/27/2020 inspection. The request for the search was returned to the provider due to lack of payment and there was not documentation of the payment and request being resubmitted to the Office of Background Investigations.
Plan of Correction: The center will continue to follow-up with CPS. Moving forward, the center will make a copy as proof of payment.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.