Babysteps Child Development Center Too
6219 Portsmouth Boulevard
Portsmouth, VA 23701
Current Inspector: Kimberly Sampson (757) 354-7307
Inspection Date: March 2, 2020
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
63.2 Facilities & Programs.
An unannounced monitoring inspection and facility tour was conducted from 11:07am-2:30pm. At the time of inspectors' arrival there were 33 infant to school aged children in care with 7 staff members. Children were observed participating in lunch, nap, diapering, hand washing and toileting, and transitioning between activities. A sample of 5 children's records and 6 staff records were reviewed. The Director reported there have been no injury reports since the last inspection. Medications are not administered at this site. The areas of noncompliance were discussed with the director during this inspection and are detailed on the violation notice.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-60-A Description: Based on record review it was determined the center did not ensure that each child's record contained all of the required components.
1. The record for child #2(enrolled 1/7/2019) did not contain the parent's work phone number.
2. The record for child #3(enrolled 1/6/2020) did not contain the parents' work phone numbers.
3. The record for child #5(enrolled 11/25/2019) did not contain the parents' work phone numbers.
Plan of Correction: The Center issued a notice that each parent was required 3/2/2020
to read and acknowledge with their signature. The notice asks each parent to review their child?s file for accuracy. The notice asks parents to utilize the revised Parent/Child Information Update Form to include emergency contact information as well as new phone numbers or work phone numbers that might have been excluded from the child?s record.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-80-A Description: Based on observation and interview it was determined the center did not keep a daily written record of children's attendance.
1. Child #1 and child #6 were not signed in and were present during this inspection.
2. Staff #2 confirmed that child #1 and child #6 were not signed in and there was no other means of documenting the children's daily attendance.
Plan of Correction: The Center will no longer rely on the parents to sign their 3/5/2020 children in and out of the Center as this has proven to be ineffective. The Center has assigned an attendance log to each classroom, which logs each child as well as the time the child entered and/or left the classroom.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-270-A Description: Based on observation it was determined the center did not ensure all areas and equipment of the center, inside and outside, were maintained in a clean, safe and operable condition.
1. In the 16-24 months room there were four small nail heads protruding from the doorway and a 1/2" bolt protruding from the top of the red play kitchen equipment.
2. In the 2 year old and 3 year old rooms there were multiple torn nap mats with exposed foam core.
3. In the infant room there were two infant rockers with torn backing.
4. Above the sink by the changing area the soap dispenser fell off the side of the cabinet when a child was trying to get soap.
5. Outside in the play area there were:
- two sand/water tables with cracked plastic covers
- one of the sand/water tables had a bent leg
- The plastic border around the sand was overturned exposing the 2" plastic ground spikes
6. The areas above were being utilized children in care.
Plan of Correction: A staff member did hammer the small nails that backed 3/2/2020 out of the molding referred to in the citation. However, because the nail has a tendency to
work itself out periodically, the Center had the molding glued to the wall. The torn mats were removed from the classroom and discarded. Parents were asked to replace the mats that their child tore. The backside of the infant rockers tore as a result of laundering and during the drying phase. The Center immediately removed the rockers from the classroom and several were ordered to replace the damaged rockers. The screw that mounts the soap dispenser turned the opposite direction, which caused the soap dispenser to fall. The Center has since replaced the mounting apparatus. The covers for the sand and water tables were discarded and the bent leg was bent into the correct position. The plastic borders that are hammered into the ground were loosened due to inclement weather. The Center removed all plastic borders that backed out of the earth as a result of inclement weather.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-F Description: Based on observation and interview it was determined the center did not ensure that all children under the age of 10 years were within actual sight and sound supervision at all times.
1. Child #4 (4 years old) was in the 3-4 year old classroom alone for 2-3 minutes.
2. Staff #6 was with a group of children using the restroom and washing their hands when child #4 walked away from the group and into the unoccupied classroom.
3. Staff #6, #2, and #7 did not notice child #4 leaving the group of children and going into the classroom alone and remained unaware until it was brought to their attention by this inspector.
Plan of Correction: When toileting and washing hands with children, 3/3/2020 staff will divide the children into two groups. One group of children will remain with the second staff member who is assigned to assist the staff. While the first group is using the bathroom facilities, the other group will remain seated and once the first group of children are done using the bathroom, the second group will then go to the bathroom with the staff member who is supervising the second group,
reducing the chance that a child will walk away from his/her group.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-420-E-3 Description: Based on record review it was determined the center did not request at least annually written parent confirmation that the required information in the child's record is up to date.
The record for child #4(enrolled 12/5/16) did not contain documentation of an annual review for the year 2017 and 2018.
Plan of Correction: The Center issued a notice that each parent was required 3/2/2020 to read and acknowledge with their signature. The notice asks each parent to review their child?s file for accuracy. The notice asks parents to utilize the revised Parent/Child Information Update Form to include emergency contact information as well as new phone numbers or work phone numbers that might have been excluded from the child?s record.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-450-A Description: Based on observation and interview it was determined the center did not ensure that children have linens consisting of a top cover and a bottom cover or a one-piece covering which is open on three edges during the designated rest period.
1. In the 2's class there were 6 of 8 children with no top cover and 1 of 8 with no top or bottom covers.
2. In the 3's class there were 6 of 10 without bottom covers.
3. In the 16-24 month class there were 3 of 9 without bottom covers.
4. Staff confirmed that there were children in each class listed above without the required covers for the designated rest period.
Plan of Correction: The Center will have a reserve of clean blankets that will be 3/3/2020 offered to children for covering in the event that their parents forget to return their blankets to the Center after taking them home on Friday for laundering. In addition, the Center did issue a memo to all parents, reminding them to supply either two blankets or a blanket that is large enough to serve the purpose of top and bottom covering.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-540-E Description: Based on observation and interview it was determined the center did not ensure they had a working battery operated flashlight and radio in their nonmedical emergency supplies.
1. The battery operated flashlight and radio were not working during this inspection.
2. Staff #2 confirmed that the flashlight and radio were not working and they did not have any other batteries during this inspection.
Plan of Correction: The batteries were left in the radio and flashlight, 3/2/2020 which unbeknownst to the staff, drained the batteries. Staff purchased batteries for the radio and flashlight, but the batteries will be kept separate from the flashlight and radio.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-570-E Description: Based on observation and interview it was determined the center did not ensure that prepared infant formula was refrigerated.
1. In the infant room there were 12 infant bottles belonging to 5 children that were in the children's cubbies un-refrigerated during this inspection.
2.The staff in the infant room confirmed that they had not put the bottles in the refrigerator yet.
Plan of Correction: When parents enter the building with pre-made bottles, 3/2/2020 staff will no longer take the bottles to the classroom. The bottles will be kept in a refrigerator draw that is designated for bottles only.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. Eligible child care facilities must be fully licensed, licensed exempt and a VDSS subsidy vendor, or a voluntary registered day home and a VDSS subsidy vendor. Only programs enrolled in Virginia Quality will display a rating. Virginia Quality contact information for your region is available at the following link Regional Contacts.