Kellys Kare Academy
4604 Pembroke Lake Circle
Virginia beach, VA 23455
Current Inspector: Arlene Agustin (804) 629-7519
Inspection Date: March 11, 2020
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
63.2 Facilities & Programs.
- Technical Assistance:
Technical assistance was provided in the following areas of the standards: 22VAC40-191 (Background checks); 22VAC40-185-(2)-60-A (Children's records); 22VAC40-185-(3)-240 (Annual training); 22VAC40-185-(4)-330 (Play areas)
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted on 3/11/20 from 10:55am - 12:15pm. During the inspection there were 6 children ages one year old through four years old in care with two staff. Children were observed participating in various activities in the classrooms and eating lunch. Records were reviewed for five children and five staff. There was no medication at the facility. Emergency procedures, and emergency supplies were reviewed during the inspection. Areas of non-compliance are identified on the violation notice and were discussed during the exit interview.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-160-C Description: Based on a review of five staff records, it was determined that the facility did not ensure that at least every two years from the date of the first initial screening or testing, staff members shall obtain and submit the results of a follow-up tuberculosis screening.
1. The record for staff #3, contained documentation of TB screening that was dated 1/25/18.
2. The record for staff #4, contained documentation of TB screening that was dated 1/25/18.
3. Staff #3, reviewed the record for staff #3 and staff #4, and confirmed that an updated TB screening had not been received.
Plan of Correction: The facility responded: Both staff will be sent to complete an updated TB screening. Current staff will complete an updated TB screening prior to two years since the last TB screening was completed.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-60-A Description: Based on a review of five children's records and interview, it was determined that the facility did not ensure that they maintain and keep at the center a complete record for each child enrolled that contains all required information.
1. The record for child #4 did not contain documentation of the address for the first emergency contact.
2. The record for child #5 did not contain documentation of the addresses for the two emergency contacts.
3. Staff #3 reviewed the record for child #4 and child #5, and confirmed that both records did not contain all of the required information.
Plan of Correction: The facility responded: The parents of child #4 and child #5 will be asked to provide the missing information. All new children will have their record reviewed prior to enrollment.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-70-A Description: Based on a review of five staff records and interviews, it was determined that the facility did not ensure that a staff record is kept for each person with all of the required information.
1. The record for staff #1 did not include the date of hire, and did not have documentation the second reference as to character and reputation as well as competency were checked before employment.
2. Staff #5 did not have a date of hire listed in her employment record.
3. Staff #3 confirmed that there was no documentation that two or more references as to character and reputation as well as competency were checked before employment available during the inspection.
Plan of Correction: The provider responded: The second reference will be placed int he file. No new staff will begin employment without having two re
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-380-A-1 Description: Based on interviews, it was determined that the facility did not ensure that outdoor activity was conducted for one hour per day when the center operates more that five hours per day.
1. The gate to the facility's playground was locked and there was not a key available during the inspection to unlock the gate.
2. When staff #3 was asked if the children were being taken outdoor daily, staff #3 said "no".
Plan of Correction: The facility responded: We will ensure the children go out daily for one hour each day, weather permitting.
Standard #: 22VAC40-191-60-B Description: Based on a review of five staff records, it was determined that the facility did not ensure that the facility did not ensure that an employee must not be employed until a sworn statement or affirmation has been completed.
1. The record for staff #5 (date of hire, not available) did not contain a sworn statement or affirmation.
2. Staff #3 confirmed that there was not a sworn statement or affirmation for staff #5 available for viewing during the inspection.
Plan of Correction: The facility responded: Staff #5 has completed a sworn statement or affirmation. New staff will not begin employment until a sworn statement or affirmation is completed.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.