KinderCare Learning Center #000002
4616 Minor Lane
Alexandria, VA 22312
Current Inspector: Shahana Green (571) 423-6735
Inspection Date: Jan. 23, 2020
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted on 1/23/2020 in response to a self-reported incident regarding a child being fed the wrong bottle of formula. Based on record review, staff interviews, and a review of the center?s policies, violations are noted on the Violation Notice. If you have any questions, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-40-E Description: Based on a review of written center procedure and staff interviews, the center failed to ensure that the operational responsibilities of the licensee shall include, but not be limited to, ensuring that the center's activities and services are maintained in compliance with the center's own policies and procedures that are required by these standards.
1. The ?Name to Face- Bottle Feeding? policy for employees provided by the center states ?Step 3: After the bottle is warmed. You show the bottle to your co-teacher and point to the baby that you are intending to feed. Saying ?I am going to feed (child?s name) this formula bottle labeled (child?s name)?.
2. Staff #1 stated on 1/17/2020 at approximately 10:57am they removed a 4 ounce bottle of breastmilk from the bottle warmer and handed it to staff #2 in the infant classroom A. Staff #1 stated that they did not conduct a ?name to face check? after removing the 4 ounce bottle of breastmilk from the warmer.
3. Staff #1 stated that a ?name to face? check was not observed before staff #2 fed the 4 ounce bottle of breastmilk (that belonged to another child) to child #1 (6 months old).
4. Staff #1 stated ?I took the bottle and gave it to staff #2. It was my mistake that I didn?t check the name, but I gave the bottle of breast milk to staff #2 to feed to child #1.
5. Staff #2 stated ?I did not check the name on the bottle, I just took the bottle from the lady and fed it to child #1.?
Plan of Correction: -Management and Staff will immediately retrain on Name-to-Face bottle feedings- Staff retrained on 1/17/2020.
-During said training Casey will speak to staff individually and physically demonstrate the task to ensure staff understands proper steps during each bottle feeding.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-70-A Description: Based on interviews and a review of staff records, all staff records did not contain written information to demonstrate that a staff person possessed required staff development training. Evidence:
1. The staff record maintained for staff #3 (Date of hire: 11/26/2019) did not contain written information regarding staff development training that was required by the job position.
Plan of Correction: -Management will ensure all staff developmental training is completed and submitting in staff files as of 3/1/2020.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-240-A Description: Based on interviews, staff did not receive, by the end of their first day of assuming job responsibilities, all required training for job responsibilities.
1. Interviews conducted with staff members #1, #2, #3, and #4 who were working in the infant classroom A at the time of the bottle feeding of child #1 on 1/17/2020, revealed that all four of the staff members did not have training on the ?face-to-name? policy that Kindercare has in place. Staff stated that they received the training after the incident involving the breast milk being fed to the wrong child occurred.
2. Staff #2, from another Kindercare location who was helping in infant classroom A on 1/17/2020, stated ?my boss said she told the school I was not trained on face-to-name and that I never should have been in that infant classroom.?
Plan of Correction: -Management and Staff will go through Quality Training Course with a concentration in Health and Safety pertaining to Bottle feeding and Bottle labeling on 2/29/2020.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-A Description: Based on interviews conducted, staff supervising children did not always ensure their care and protection.
1. Staff #2 stated that on 1/17/2020 they fed child #1 (6 months) all the contents of a 4 ounce bottle of breastmilk and the bottle did not belong to child #1 but another child in care in infant classroom A.
2. Staff #1 stated that they did not do a name to face bottle feed check on 1/17/2020 before they handed the 4 ounce warmed bottle of breastmilk to staff #2.
Plan of Correction: -Management and Staff will go through Quality Training Course with a concentration in Child Supervision Records on 2/29/2020.
Standard #: 22VAC40-191-60-C-2 Description: Based on a review of staff records, the center did not deny continued employment of an employee that did not have a central registry finding within 30 days of employment.
1. Staff #2 (Date of hire: 12/6/2019) did not have a central registry finding on file during the inspection.
Plan of Correction: -Management contacted Central Registry and was informed of a back-up on files. Employee did receive Central Registry form. Management will insure completed paperwork is in files on 1/17/2020.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. Eligible child care facilities must be fully licensed, licensed exempt and a VDSS subsidy vendor, or a voluntary registered day home and a VDSS subsidy vendor. Only programs enrolled in Virginia Quality will display a rating. Virginia Quality contact information for your region is available at the following link Regional Contacts.