KinderCare Learning Center #000740
5124 Woodmere Drive
Centreville, VA 20120
Current Inspector: Shahana Green (571) 423-6735
Inspection Date: March 9, 2020
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted on 3/9/2020 in response to a self-reported incident by the center regarding a child?s injury. Based on record review, staff interviews, and a review of the center?s policies, areas of non-compliance were found and are noted on the Violation Notice. If you have any questions, please contact me at email@example.com .
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-40-E Description: Based on staff interview and a review of center policy, staff did not ensure they complied with the center?s own policies on 3/5/2020.
1. The ?Technology at Work? memo that all KinderCare staff at this location received on 4/12/2019 stated ??to ensure the safety of the children and the focus and productivity of our team here at KinderCare 740 Sully Station cell phones will no longer be permitted in the classrooms. We are happy to keep your cell phone safe for you in the office or we ask that you leave your cell phone in the car.?
2. On 3/5/2020, Adult #1 observed Staff #2 sitting on a bench on the playground while looking down at a cell phone at approximately 9:38am. There were 13 Pre-K children (ages 4-5 years old) and Staff #2 was observed to be the only staff member supervising them at the time.
3. Staff #2 stated ?We aren?t allowed to use our cell phones, but I have to have my phone with me because I have kids.?
Plan of Correction: Each staff member will be retrained on our expectations for cell phone usage and we will remind our staff that the center phone should be used for any family emergency.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-270-A Description: Based on staff interview and observation, areas and equipment of the center were not maintained in a clean, safe, and operable condition.
1. There were 2 metal screws observed to be sticking up and protruding from the black frame around the mulch about 1-2 inches high.
2. Staff #1 stated that ?we take a hammer and hit the screws down every morning because they pop up with the rain sometimes, but I guess we forgot to do it today.?
Plan of Correction: The playground equipment will be repaired by our facilities technician. Repairs will be completed by 5/1 and until that time the equipment will not be used by the children.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-350-E-4 Description: Based on staff interview and record review, the center exceeded the 1:10 staff-to-child ratio requirement for children ages three to five years.
1. The Pre-K classroom (ages 4-5 yrs) was observed to have 13 children with 1 staff member at approximately 9:38am on 3/5/2020.
2. Staff #2 stated ?I was out of ratio on the playground with Pre-K, I had 13 by myself, so I took them to the playground because they were really hyper. I was over ratio for maybe half an hour.? Staff #2 also stated that ?she didn?t tell anyone that she was out of ratio.?
Plan of Correction: We will confirm each child's schedule so that we can adjust our teacher's schedules to ensure we maintain state ratio requirements.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.