Natural Steps Child Development Center
64 Toby Way
Palmyra, VA 22963
Current Inspector: Beth Orebaugh (540) 847-9173
Inspection Date: March 3, 2020
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
An unannounced non-mandated inspection was conducted on 03/03/2020 from 2:58 pm to 5:20 pm. The inspection was conducted to a response of a self-reported alleged incident that occurred at the center on 2/19/2020. Six interviews were conducted in conjunction with a local agency, two children?s records, four staff records, playground policies and procedures, and attendance records were reviewed. Arrival, handwashing, bathroom procedures, snack, outdoor play, and departure were observed during this visit. The exceptions to compliance are noted on the violation notice.
Please contact Beth Orebaugh, licensing inspector, if you have questions concerning this inspection, the licensing standards, and/or if you need any additional assistance at (540) 847-9173.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-160-A Description: Based on review of staff records and staff interview, the center failed to obtain a tuberculosis screening no later than 21 days after employment.
1. Staff #1's tuberculosis screening was dated 02/25/2020. Date of hire was 10/28/2019.
2. Staff verified the date of employment and date of tuberculosis screening.
Plan of Correction: I was reviewing staff records and could not find her TB test. I had her go complete another. I will make sure that the paperwork stays in the correct staff file.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-A Description: Based on interviews and reviews of documentation, the center failed to ensure care, protection, and guidance of children at all times.
1. On 02/19/2020 while outside on the playground, Child #2 touched Child #1's exposed buttocks.
2. Staff were unaware that the incident had occurred.
Plan of Correction: In order to best ensure care, protection, and guidance of all our children we have taken the following steps to improve our playground supervision and expectations.
1. We have reviewed playground safety with all staff members.
2. We discussed balancing engagement with children and supervision.
3. We reviewed appropriate supervision coverage areas that need to be staffed. We have also created new playground maps to clarify staff placement on the playground.
4. We have staggered times on the playground to ensure lower numbers in the space.
5. Equipment that hinders supervision has been removed.
6. Convex security mirrors have been purchased to place in each corner of the playground to ensure sight supervision if a staff member has to step away from their location to address a students needs.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-500-A Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that children hands shall be washed with soap and running water or disposable wipes before eating snack.
1. Children were observed eating without washing their hands prior to snack.
2. Staff verified that not all children washed their hands or used a disposable wipe before snack.
Plan of Correction: Staff will be reminded that the children need to wash their hands before eating snack.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. Eligible child care facilities must be fully licensed, licensed exempt and a VDSS subsidy vendor, or a voluntary registered day home and a VDSS subsidy vendor. Only programs enrolled in Virginia Quality will display a rating. Virginia Quality contact information for your region is available at the following link Regional Contacts.