Childtime Learning Center 1021
3725 Tiffany Lane
Virginia beach, VA 23456
Current Inspector: Adrianna Walden (757) 404-2487
Inspection Date: Nov. 23, 2020
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
This inspection was conducted by licensing staff using an alternate remote protocol, necessary due to a state of emergency health pandemic declared by the Governor of Virginia. A monitoring inspection was initiated due to a self-report on 11/13/20 and concluded on 12/04/20. The incident was received by the department regarding allegations in the areas of supervision. The director was contacted by telephone to conduct the investigation. The inspector emailed the director a list of documentation required to complete the investigation. The evidence gathered during the investigation supported the self-report of non-compliance with standards or law and violations were issued. Any violations not related to the self-report but identified during the course of the investigation can be found on the violation notice.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-A Description: Based on observation, interviews, a record review and the scope and nature of violations, the center did not ensure the care, protection and guidance of children.
1. On 11/23/20, staff #1 was with 8 two year-old children in her care. Video footage and interviews confirmed, on or around 4:46pm, child #1 opened the classroom back door, leading to the playground and left the classroom with the door closing behind her. Child #1 remained outside on the playground, unsupervised for around or about 7 minutes.
2. After child #1, left the classroom, two other children followed and reopened the door. They were observed looking outside the door. When staff #1 noticed the two children closed the door without looking outside and grabbed the children's wrists and sat them at a table.
3. Child #1 was visibile through the classroom window when video footage showed her outside the classroom running from one end of the window, to the other.
4. Another child #2, was observed running in the classroom. Staff #1 was observed pointing her finger at the child, who ran to the other side of the room. Staff #1 walked over to child #2 and lifted her off of her feet and into the air. Staff #1 then flipped child#2 upside down, pinned between her body and arm. The child's face was pointed downward and hair dangling straight down. The staff proceeded to finish completing a task before putting the child down to join the other 7 children at the table.
5. Interview and video footage confirmed, staff #1 did not interact with the children once they were seated at the table. Staff #1 had her back to the children for around or about 3.5 minutes.
Plan of Correction: All applicable staff and management have been retrained on direct supervision, appropriate guidance and redirection, child to teacher ratios, and classroom management/interactions by 12/1/2020. DM will continue to do weekly camera reviews to ensure compliance.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-F Description: Based on a record review, interviews with staff, and observation, the center did not ensure children under 10 years-old were in sight and sound supervision.
On 11/23/20 a one year-old child #1 was found on the playground, unsupervised around or about 4:53pm, after the child's mother arrived at the center for pick-up. Video footage confirmed child #1 opened the back door of the classroom and was outside without sight and sound supervision of staff for around or about 7 minutes.
Plan of Correction: All applicable staff have been retrained on direct supervision or released from their role as teacher as of 11/25/2020. Management will ensure daily direct supervision to ensure compliance.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-350-E-3 Description: Based on a record review, interviews with staff, and observation the center did not ensure the ratio for 2 year-old children was maintained to the required 1 staff : 8 children.
Video footage from 11/23/20 showed staff #1 as the only staff person in the 2 year-old classroom with 7 two year-old children. Recordings showed staff #1 taking two more children into her care leaving 9 two year-old children in her care for around or about 3 minutes without any other staff in the room.
Plan of Correction: All applicable staff have been retrained on proper face to name and teacher to child ratios effective In addition management has been retrained on how to ensure compliance throughout the day effective 11/25/2020
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. Eligible child care facilities must be fully licensed, licensed exempt and a VDSS subsidy vendor, or a voluntary registered day home and a VDSS subsidy vendor. Only programs enrolled in Virginia Quality will display a rating. Virginia Quality contact information for your region is available at the following link Regional Contacts.