KinderCare Learning Center #000740
5124 Woodmere Drive
Centreville, VA 20120
Current Inspector: Shahana Green (571) 423-6735
Inspection Date: Dec. 1, 2020
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
20 Access to minor?s records
32.1 Report by person other than physician
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
63.2 Facilities & Programs.
This inspection was conducted by licensing staff using an alternate remote protocol, necessary due to a state of emergency health pandemic declared by the Governor of Virginia.
A Monitoring inspection was initiated on 12/1/2020 in response to a self-reported incident involving care, protection, and supervision of children. Records and policies were reviewed, interviews were conducted, and the inspection was concluded on 1/13/2021.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the facility.
The Licensing Inspector has reviewed with the provider COVID-19 Essential Guidance for Child Care Programs. If you have any questions, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-40-E Description: Based on record review and interview, the center failed to ensure that the operational responsibilities of the licensee shall include, but not be limited to, ensuring that the center's activities and services are maintained in compliance with these standards, the center's own policies and procedures that are required by these standards.
1. In the "Supervision of Children" policy, it states that "All individual and/or groups of children must be supervised at all times while in our care."
2. Staff #1 stated that, "Child #1 (3 years old) was noticed to be missing from the 3?s classroom from 11:45am and was returned at 11:50am."
3. Witness #1 stated, "Around 11:45am, I saw a child alone on the sidewalk by Woodmere Drive by the road. I called over to the child and the child went running to the mailboxes and led me straight to the Kindercare door. I knocked on the door until Staff #1 opened the door. I asked, "is this your kid?" and Staff #1 responded, "oh yeah."
Plan of Correction: Held training with regards to children in our care constantly being under our supervision. Retrained on sight and sound supervision. Also retrained on appropriate times to complete teacher tasks during at periods of the day when ratio allows to ensure that children are supervised at all times.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-A Description: Based on staff interviews conducted, when staff were supervising children they did not always ensure their care and protection.
1. Staff #5 stated, "Around 11:45am Staff #4 and I were taking down Preschools art crafts from the walls. The children were all playing. I was almost done taking down the art crafts when I look around to see what the children were doing and I noticed Child #1 was nowhere to be found."
2. Staff #1 stated "11:45am-Child #1 left the 3's classroom out the playground door. When no-one was on the playground, Child #1 left the playground through the fence gate. At 11:50am, Child #1 was returned to our center."
3. Staff #2 stated "Around 11:50am on Dec. 1st, Staff #3 called me from her car telling me that there was a child climbing the fence trying to get out. I immediately hung up and ran to the back to the playground. I knew at the moment that was Child #1 trying to run out. Staff #5 and I ran to the parking lot and we didn't see Child #1, within seconds, the Director from a nearby daycare brought Child #1 to us."
Plan of Correction: Plan of Correction: Retrained staff on sight and sound supervision, as well as retrained on appropriate times to complete teacher tasks to ensure appropriate supervision at all times. Also to ensure protection of the children, a magnetic chime was placed on the exit door from the classroom to outside, alerting the center when the door is open.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-F Description: Based on multiple interviews, Child #1 (3 years old) was not within actual sight and sound supervision of staff.
1. On 12/1/2020, Child #1 left the 3's classroom at 11:45am and was seen alone by the street (Woodmere drive) by Witness #1, who does not work at the school. Witness #1 returned the child to the school at 11:50am.
Plan of Correction: Plan of correction: Retrained staff on sight and sound supervision while inside the center, as well as replaced old latches on outdoor fencing to ensure the safety of the children.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.