The Compass School of Ashburn
44128 Navajo Drive
Ashburn, VA 20147
Current Inspector: Karen Dickens (571) 423-6978
Inspection Date: April 27, 2021
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
This inspection was conducted by licensing staff using an alternate remote protocol, necessary due to a state of emergency health pandemic declared by the Governor of Virginia.
A monitoring inspection was initiated and concluded on April 27, 2021. The director was contacted by telephone to initiate the inspection. There were 93 children present and 18 total staff. The inspector emailed the director a list of items required to complete the inspection. The Inspector reviewed 5 children?s records and 5 staff records submitted by the facility to ensure documentation was complete.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance(s) with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the facility.
The Licensing Inspector has reviewed with the provider COVID-19 Essential Guidance for Child Care programs.
Thank you for your cooperation today. If there are any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-70-A Description: Based on record review, two of five required records were not kept for each staff member.
1. Staff #2(Date of hire-11/17/20) did not have documentation of two references checked before employment. The two references were dated 11/18/20.
2. Staff #4(Date of hire-02/01/21) did not have documentation of two references checked before employment. Reference #1 was checked 02/19/21 and Reference #2 was dated 04/01/21.
Plan of Correction: The director will ensure that all references are complete before the first date of employment.
Standard #: 22VAC40-191-60-C-2 Description: Based on record review, the center did not obtain a central registry finding within 30 days of employment.
1. Staff #3 ,(Date of hire-12/14/20), did not have documentation of a central registry finding available for review.
2. Staff #4, (Date of hire-02/01/2021), had documentation of a Central Registry Finding dated after the 30th day of employment. The Central Registry finding was dated 04/23/2021.
Plan of Correction: Search for Central Registry(CPS) background results for the State of Virginia are required within 30 days of employment. The center conduct a Central Registry search.
Standard #: 63.2(17)-1720.1-B-4 Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not obtain a copy of the results of a criminal history record information check from any state in which the individual has resided in the preceding five years.
1. Staff #5's (Date of hire-10/19/20) record contained an Sworn Statement indicating that the staff member lived in the state of California within the past 5 years. The center did not obtain an out of state criminal history name check prior to the first day of employment.
2. Staff #6 confirmed that an out of state criminal history name check was not conducted.
Plan of Correction: An out of state criminal history name check from the state of California will be conducted. The results will be submitted to the licensing inspector.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.