Happy Feet Early Learning and Child Center
37 Ellsworth Street
Martinsville, VA 24112
Current Inspector: Rebecca Forestier (540) 309-2835
Inspection Date: May 6, 2021 , May 11, 2021 , May 17, 2021 , May 18, 2021 and May 27, 2021
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
This inspection was conducted by licensing staff using an alternative remote protocol, necessary due to a state of emergency health pandemic declared by the Governor of Virginia.
A non-mandated monitoring inspection resulting from a complaint was initiated on 05/06/2021 and was completed on 05/27/2021. The Licensing Inspector conducted telephone interviews with 5 staff members on 05/06/2021, 05/11/2021, 05/17/2021 and 05/27/2021. The inspector reviewed 3 children's records and 4 staff records during a virtual inspection on 05/18/2021 to ensure documentation was complete. Information gathered during the interviews and virtual inspection determined the complaint to be valid. The violations of the applicable standards or law are documented on the violation notice issued to the facility.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-C Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on interviews with the staff, the facility failed to ensure that during the stated hours of operation, there always shall be on the premises and on field trips when one or more children are present one staff member who meets the qualifications of a program leader or program director and an immediately available staff member, volunteer or other employee who is at least 16 years of age, with direct means for communication between the two of them.
1. During a telephone interview on 05/11/2021, Staff C stated that she had worked alone on two different days during the month of April between the hours of 6:00 am to 7:00 am and did have children in care during that hour.
2. During a telephone interview on 05/17/2021 and 05/27/2021, Staff E stated that she worked alone each morning (Monday-Friday) from 6:00 am-7:00 am the week of May 10-May 14, 2021 and had a maximum of 6 children in care during that hour.
Plan of Correction: Operation hours to changed and there are now two people at the center at opening each day.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-350-E-1 Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on interviews with the staff, the facility failed to ensure that the staff to children ratio was maintained for children from birth to the age of 16 months: one staff for every four children in care.
1. During a telephone interview on 05/06/2021, Staff A stated that on 05/06/2021 she was the only staff member with 8 children, the youngest of which was 8 months old, in the infant/toddler classroom.
2. During a telephone interview on 05/11/2021, Staff C stated that on 05/11/2021 she witnessed 1 staff member and 9 children, the youngest of which was 8 months old, in the infant/toddler classroom.
3. During a telephone interview on 05/17/2021, Staff D stated that at 1:23 pm on 05/17/2021 there was 1 staff member and 7 children, the youngest of which was 8 months old, in the infant/toddler classroom.
Plan of Correction: To make sure that there is always 2 or 3 teachers, depending on attendance, in the infant/toddler room at all times. Always have at least 2 staff during the entire day.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-350-E-3 Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on interviews with the staff, the facility failed to ensure that the staff to children ratio was maintained for 2 year old children: one staff for every 8 children in care.
1. During a telephone interview on 05/11/2021, Staff B stated that on 05/11/2021, from 8:00 am-8:30 am, she was the only staff member present with 10 children, the youngest of which was 2 years old.
Plan of Correction: The children are being separated into their age-appropriate classes upon arrival.
Standard #: 63.2(17)-1720.1-B-4 Complaint related: No Description: Based on record review and discussion with staff, the facility failed to obtain the results of a sex offender registry check from any state in which the individual has resided in the preceding five years
Evidence: The record for Staff #3 has a documented hire date of 05/11/2021. The record for Staff #3 has documentation of having resided in a state other than Virginia within the preceding 5 years; there was not a sex offender registry check for every state that Staff #3 has resided in within the preceding 5 years available for review.
Plan of Correction: Will get it as soon as possible. Has made contact with someone to get the information.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.