Andy Taylor Center for Early Childhood Development
301 Brock Commons
Farmville, VA 23909
Current Inspector: Kelly Campbell (540) 309-2494
Inspection Date: Sept. 28, 2021 and Sept. 30, 2021
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
This inspection was conducted by licensing staff using an alternate remote protocol, including telephone contacts, documents review, and interviews.
A monitoring inspection was initiated on 09/28/2021 and concluded on 09/30/2021. The director was contacted by telephone and a virtual inspection was conducted. There were 25 children present. The inspector reviewed compliance in the areas of administration, staffing and supervision, and special care and emergencies. A total of two children's records and seven staff records were reviewed.
This inspection was also a follow-up for the Intensive Plan of Correction (IPOC) that was issued to the center on August 30, 2021 for past non-compliances. The center completed the responses for the IPOC on 9/14/2021. The areas of non-compliance on the IPOC were background checks and staff records. There were repeat non-compliances found on this follow-up inspection to the IPOC plan completed by the program director.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-70-A Description: REPEAT VIOLATION
Based on record review, the center failed to ensure that each staff member had documentation of at least two references completed prior to employment.
1. There was no documentation of references available for staff #5 and staff #7 with hire dates of 9/10/2021 and 6/25/2021.
2. There was no address for the emergency contact for staff #1 with a hire date of 8/25/2021.
3. There was no written information to demonstrate that staff #1-7 had the required orientation training required by the job position; there was no documentation of the components required by the Standards for new staff orientation.
Plan of Correction: If the director is unable to locate the documentation of the references, the references will be completed. The emergency contact address will be documented. The director will develop a document that shows all required components to be documented for orientation training for staff.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-550-D Description: Based on record review, the center failed to ensure that monthly practice evacuation drills (fire drills) were conducted.
1. There was no documentation of fire drills at the center for October 2020-May 2021.
Plan of Correction: The director will ensure drills are done monthly.
Standard #: 63.2(17)-1720.1-B-4 Description: REPEAT VIOLATION
Based on record review, the center failed to ensure that results of a criminal history record information check and a sex offender registry check were obtained prior to hire from any state in which staff had resided in the preceding five years.
1. Staff #7 had indicated on a Sworn Statement dated 6/24/2021 that they had lived in another state in the past five years. There was no sex offender registry check completed for staff #1 as of 9/30/2021.
2. Staff #2 had indicated on a Sworn Statement dated 9/10/2021 that they had lived in another state in the past five years. There was no criminal record check or sex offender registry check completed for staff #2 prior to hire.
Plan of Correction: The director will make the requests for these records.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.