Grand Kids Child Care
3152 Hickory Fork Road
Gloucester, VA 23061
Current Inspector: Tiffany Harris (757) 403-3045
Inspection Date: July 1, 2021
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
This inspection was conducted by licensing staff using an alternate remote protocol, including telephone contacts, documents review, interviews (if applicable) and a virtual tour of the program (if applicable).
The local agency representative and licensing inspector conducted an unannounced inspection in response to self-reported serious injury requiring medical attention The inspection was initiated on July 1, 2021 and completed on 09/21/2021. The local agency representative and licensing inspector completed interviews with staff, observations were made in the center, photographs taken, collateral interviews, and documentation was reviewed. There was a violation cited regarding staffing and supervision during this inspection process. See the violation notice for more details. If you have any questions regarding this inspection, please contact the licensing inspector at (757) 403-3045.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-340-A Description: Based on interview of staff, documentation review, and observations, the center did not ensure when staff are supervision children, they shall always ensure their care, protection and guidance.
1. On June 14, 2021 Child#1 (14 month old) was reported by staff eating handfuls of sand while sitting nearby a plastic play structure located in the sandbox at the center's playground. The center was notified Child#1 later required medical attention due to vomiting sand.
2. Joint interviews with staff on July 1, 2021 confirmed staff was aware and previously observed Child#1 eating sand on the playground area in the sandbox.
3. Staff confirmed parent requested prior to the incident for Child#1 to be remove from sandbox area to limit access during outdoor activity.
4. Exhibit A: A photograph of the location where Child#1 was discovered by the staff on June 14, 2021.
5. Medical documentation was reviewed verifying outside medical treatment for Child #1.
Plan of Correction: The play structure was moved immediately but it will be completed removed. 10/12/21 Staff has been reminded that if anything blocks view of children it need to be moved immediately.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.