Alpha Beta Cappa Christian Academy
7425 Chesapeake Blvd
Norfolk, VA 23513
Current Inspector: Christopher Robinson (757) 404-2322
Inspection Date: Jan. 24, 2022 and Jan. 27, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
8VAC20-780 Physical plant.
8VAC20-780 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
8VAC20-780 Special care provisions and emergencies.
8VAC20-780 SPECIAL SERVICES.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
22.1 Early Childhood Care and Education
This inspection was conducted by licensing staff using an alternate remote protocol, including telephone contacts, documents review, interviews and a in-person tour of the program A monitoring inspection was initiated on 1/24/22 and concluded on 1/27/22. The provider was contacted by telephone to initiate the inspection. There were 27 children present and 5 staff. The inspector emailed the director/provider a list of items required to complete the inspection. The Inspector reviewed 5 children?s records and 5 staff records, along with any requested program records submitted by the facility to determine if required documentation was complete. Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance(s) with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-B-4 Description: Based on a review of five staff records, it was determined that the facility did not deny continued employment of a staff who did not have a completed search of the central registry finding and a completed sex offender registry search from any other state in which the employee has resided in the preceding five years.
1. The record for staff #3 (date of hire 7/14/21) did not contain documentation of a completed search of the central registry finding and sex offender registry search from Georgia. The sworn statement indicated staff #3 had previously lived in Georgia within the last 5 years.
2. Staff #4 (Program Director) review the record for the staff #3 and confirmed that the search of the central registry finding and sex offender registry search from the state (Georgia) in which staff #3 previously resided in has not been received.
Plan of Correction: The facility responded: We had previously sent off the required background check for staff #3 for Georgia and had not received it. Staff #3 will complete new background checks for Georgia and we will forward to the Licensing Inspector when received.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-350-B Description: Based on on observation and interviews, it was determined that the facility did not ensure that for children, from three years old to the age of eligibility to attend public school, one staff member for every 10 children is maintained at all times children are in care.
1. The Licensing Inspector observed staff #5 alone and supervising 10 children in the Pre-K classroom at 9:30am. The children present were ages four years old to five years old, so the facility was not maintaining the required 1 staff for every 10 children.
2. Staff #3 arrived at the facility and entered the Pre-K classroom at 9:40 am and the facility was now in compliance with the required staff-to-child ratio required by
3. Staff #4 confirmed that based on the sign in sheet the facility did not maintain the required staff-to-child ratio from 9:00am to 9:40am.
Plan of Correction: The facility responded: Corrected during the inspection. Staff #3 was completing a van run taking children to the local public school. We will ensure that we have the appropriate number of staff present in the facility based on the number of children.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-580-B Description: Based on observation, it was determined that any vehicle used by the center for the transportation of children shall the safety standards set by the Department of Motor Vehicles and shall be kept in satisfactory condition to assure the safety of the children.
1. The van, used for the daily transportation of children to and from the local public schools, had a Virginia registration that expired in October 2021.
2. Staff #4 (Program director) confirmed that the van used for transporting children daily had an expired registration.
Plan of Correction: The facility responded: We will renew the registration for the van. Until a new registration is completed the van will not be used to transport children.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.