Childtime Learning Center 1012
2 Manhattan Square
Hampton, VA 23666
Current Inspector: Michele Patchett (757) 439-6816
Complaint Related: No
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-400-B Description: Based on video footage, documentation and staff interview, the center did not ensure constructive behavioral guidance and age appropriate guidance.
1. Staff interview, incident report and video footage, showed that staff #1 put three children forcefully in a "soft element seating" after roughhousing with staff #1 and refusing to stop behavior when requested by the staff #1.
2.Staff #1 stated it was to calm the situation.
Plan of Correction: 400-B: Both employees present in the classroom on this day were released from employment upon our review of video and investigation. All staff have been required to review proper classroom management
techniques, and train on My Path which is our behavior management source for staff. Both school leadership and the District Manager conduct weekly unannounced classroom observations, both in person and virtually.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-410-1 Description: Based on review of video footage, documentation, and interviews, the licensee did not ensure that staff did not use a forbidden action of roughly handling a child.
1. In video footage it was observed in the Pre-K classroom that when staff #1 entered the classroom multiple children began hitting, pushing, grabbing, jumping and pulling on staff #1. Staff #1 was observed walking away from children and pushing children away as behavior continued but did not stop behavior. At one point a child was observed jumping on staff #1 .
2. Staff #1 was observed picking up child#1 and child #2 separately by restraining arms to their side , lifting them up off the ground and roughly placing child #1 and child#2 on the couch . At this point child #2 put her hand on her back and slid on the floor. Staff #1 picked child #3 up under his arm and placed him roughly in chair.
3. Three separate reports documented that child #1, child #2 and child #3 were roughhousing with staff #1 and refused to stop when requested to by the staff. Staff #1 then picked children up and forcefully sat them down on "soft element seating".
4. Staff #1 stated that he might have sat them down a little hard and with a little force to calm the situation down.
Plan of Correction: 410-1: All staff have reviewed with management what forbidden actions entails. A portion of the mandatory staff training day on February 21 will be dedicated to a review of teacher interactions and appropriate classroom guidance techniques to prevent a re-occurrence. Both school leadership and the District Manager observe weekly for proper guidance in all classrooms.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.