Childtime Learning Centers - Memory Lane
10300 Memory Lane
Chesterfield, VA 23832
Current Inspector: Jennifer Moore (540) 430-0384
Inspection Date: Dec. 27, 2021
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
8VAC20-780 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
22.1 Early Childhood Care and Education
This inspection was conducted by licensing staff using an alternate remote protocol, including telephone contacts, documents review, interviews and a virtual tour of the program.
An unannounced inspection was initiated on 12/27/2021 and concluded on 2/8/2022 in response to a complaint that was received by the department on 12/17/2021 regarding allegations in the area of staff to child ratio requirements and behavioral guidance.
The preponderance of the evidence gathered during the investigation supports part of the allegation; therefore, the complaint is determined to be valid. There were also violations found during the inspection regarding staff records and background checks. See the violation notice for more details. If you have any questions about this inspection, please contact the licensing inspector at (540) 430-0384.
Please complete the ?plan of correction? and ?date to be corrected? for each violation cited on the violation notice and return it to me within 5 business days from today. You will need to specify how the deficient practice will be or has been corrected. Just writing the word ?corrected? is not acceptable. Your plan of correction must contain: 1) steps to correct the noncompliance with the standard(s), 2) measures to prevent the noncompliance from occurring again; and 3) person(s) responsible for implementing each step and/or monitoring any preventative measures. Please do not use staff names; list staff by positions only.
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-B-4 Complaint related: No Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure to obtain a criminal history record check, sex offender registry check, and child abuse and neglect registry check from any state in which the individual had resided within the preceding five years.
1. The record of staff # 1 (DOH: 10/11/2021) contained the results of a sworn statement that indicated that the staff resided outside of Virginia within the preceding 5 years. The record did not contain the results of an out of state criminal history record check, sex offender name check or child abuse and neglect registry for 1 of the 2 states listed.
2. Administration acknowledged that the out of state background checks were missing.
Plan of Correction: -Director will ensure all necessary out of state background checks are performed.
Standard #: 8VAC20-770-60-C-2 Complaint related: No Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure to obtain the results of a central registry background check within 30 days of employment as required.
1. The records of staff #1 (DOH:10/11/2021) and staff #2 (DOH: 10/22/2021) did not contain the results of a central registry background check.
2. Administration acknowledged that the central registry background checks had not been received.
Plan of Correction: -Director will ensure central registry is sent per checklist. Follow ups with central registry will be conducted and documented after 14 days in file
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-160-A Complaint related: No Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure to obtain the results of a tuberculosis screening for each staff within the required time frame.
1. The record of staff #1 (DOH: 10/11/2021) did not contain the results of a tuberculosis screening.
2. Administration acknowledged that the screening was missing.
Plan of Correction: TB tests will be completed and on file prior to first date of employment. verified by director/AD
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-70 Complaint related: No Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure to obtain documentation of two or more references as to character and reputation as well as competency were checked before employment for each staff as required.
1. The record of staff #2 (DOH: 10/22/2021) contained documentation of 2 references dated 11/1/2021.
2. Administration acknowledged that the references were received after hire.
Plan of Correction: references will be completed and uploaded prior to start date by admin- director and AD
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-340-D Complaint related: No Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure that in each grouping of children at least one staff member who meets the qualifications of a program leader or program director is regularly present.
1. During interview, it was stated that staff #2 was the lead teacher of the preschool/pre Kindergarten classroom. The record of staff #2 did not contain documentation of lead teacher qualifications.
2. Administration acknowledged that neither staff in the classroom met the lead teacher qualifications.
Plan of Correction: -Director will ensure a lead teacher meets requirements and that it is documented in staff file
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-350-C Complaint related: No Description: Based on observation and interview, the center did not ensure that when children are regularly in ongoing mixed age groups, the staff-to-children ratio applicable to the youngest child in the group shall apply to the entire group.
1.On 2/8/2022, the Preschool/Pre-Kindergarten classroom had 2 staff supervising 24 children ranging in age from 3-11 years for approximately 15 minutes.
2. Staff and center administration were interviewed and acknowledged that the school age children joined the classroom each afternoon which resulted in the classroom being over ratio by 5-15 children.
Plan of Correction: Frequent staff to student ratio checks continuously during the day-Keep school age children in a separate designated when feasible class-cap classes in necessary situations due to staffing-director and assistant director responsible
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.