Apple Tree Kids-#1002
601 West Washington Street
Suffolk, VA 23434
Current Inspector: Melinda Popkin (757) 802-5281
Inspection Date: Dec. 9, 2021
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
8VAC20-780 Physical plant.
8VAC20-780 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
8VAC20-780 Special care provisions and emergencies.
8VAC20-780 SPECIAL SERVICES.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
8VAC20-820 HEARINGS PROCEDURES.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Early Childhood Care and Education
32.1 Report by person other than physician
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
A complaint inspection was initiated on 12/1/2021 and concluded on 12/9/2021 in response to a complaint that was received by the department on 11/23/2021. Five staff were interviewed on site. One additional interview was conducted by telephone. Documentation to include incident reports and the center?s written policies and procedures were reviewed. One child?s record was reviewed as well as five staff records.
Based on the information gathered, there was not sufficient evidence to support the allegations, so the complaint is found to be not valid. However, non-compliance which was not part of the stated complaint but was discovered in the course of investigating the complaint is identified on the violation notice.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-560-P Complaint related: No Description: Based upon a review of records and interview, the licensee failed to ensure that a child with an allergy is not served any food identified in their written allergy care plan.
1. The record for child #1 contained a "Life Threatening Allergy Management Plan" that listed several food allergens, including milk.
2. Staff interviews confirmed that on 9/16/2021 the a 4 year old child requested Ranch Dressing at lunch time and that staff provided Ranch dressing which the child ate with his raw vegetables brought from home.
3. The child's parent noticed a residue of ranch dressing in her child's lunch container when he returned home that day and contacted the center.
4. Staff told the parent that they thought it was okay to give child #1 Ranch dressing because child #1 normally brings his own container of Ranch dressing from home each day.
5. The Ranch dressing normally provided by the parent was Vegan and did not contain milk. However, the Ranch dressing they served the child did contain milk.
Plan of Correction: Staff were trained and advised that child #1 may only eat food brought from home. A special placemat was created for child #1 following the event clearly indicating that food may not be provided or supplemented for this child due to food allergies.
Clear procedures have been put in place for any child who has food allergies and enrolls in the program.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.