Kellys Kare Academy
4604 Pembroke Lake Circle
Virginia beach, VA 23455
Current Inspector: Arlene Agustin (804) 629-7519
Inspection Date: March 9, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
8VAC20-780 Physical plant.
8VAC20-780 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
8VAC20-780 Special care provisions and emergencies.
8VAC20-780 SPECIAL SERVICES.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
22.1 Early Childhood Care and Education
- Technical Assistance:
Technical assistance was provided in the following area: Transportation, play areas, staff records, annual training and emergency procedures.
This inspection was conducted by licensing staff using an alternate remote protocol, including telephone contacts, documents review, interviews and a in-person tour of the program A renewal inspection was initiated on 3/2/22 and concluded on 3/9/22. The provider was contacted by telephone to initiate the inspection. There were 7 children present and 2 staff. The inspector emailed the director/provider a list of items required to complete the inspection. The Inspector reviewed 5 children?s records and 5 staff records, along with any requested program records submitted by the facility to determine if required documentation was complete. Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-A Description: Based on a review of 5 staff records, it was determined that the licensee did not ensure that all employees before five years since the dates of the last most recent search of the central registry complete an updated search of the central registry record check.
1. The record for staff #3 contained a search of the central registry record check that was completed on 3/20/15.
2. Staff #6 (Program Director) reviewed the record for staff #3, and confirmed that an updated search of the central registry record check had not been completed for staff #3.
Plan of Correction: The facility responded: Staff #3 will complete an updated search of the central registry and once the results are received, we will forward them to the Licensing Inspector.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-130-A Description: Based on a review of five children's records, it was determined that the facility did not ensure that the center obtains documentation that each child has received the immunizations required by the State Board of Health before the child can attend the center.
1. The record for child #3, present during the inspection, did not contain documentation of an immunization record.
2. Staff #6 (Program Director) reviewed the record for child #3, and confirmed there was no immunization record available for viewing during the inspection.
Plan of Correction: The facility responded: We have contacted the parents of child #3 to obtain a copy of the current immunization record.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-140-A Description: Based on a review of five children's records, it was determined that the facility did not ensure that each child in attendance had a completed physical within one month of attendance.
1. The record for child #3 did not contain a physical examination.
2. The record for child #4 did not contain a physical examination.
3. Staff #6 (Program Director)confirmed that the records for child #3 and child #4 did not contain a physical examination, and both children had been enrolled for more than 30 days.
Plan of Correction: The facility responded: We have reached out to both parents to obtain a copy of their current physical.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-160-C Description: Based on a review of five staff records, it was determined that the facility did not ensure that at least every two years from the date of the first initial screening or testing, staff members shall obtain and submit the results of a follow-up tuberculosis screening.
1. The record for staff #3, contained documentation of TB screening that was dated 9/29/19.
2. Staff #6 (Program Director), reviewed the record for staff #3 and confirmed that an updated TB screening had not been received.
Plan of Correction: The facility responded: Staff #3 will be sent to complete an updated TB screening.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-530-C Description: Based on a review of five staff records and interviews, it was determined that the licensee did not ensure that there shall be at least two staff members trained in first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and rescue breathing as appropriate to the age of the children in care who is on the premises during the center's hours of operation and also one person on field trips and wherever children are in care.
1. Staff #3 and staff #6 were working at the facility during the inspection.
2. The records for staff #3 and staff #6 did not contain a current certification in CPR and First Aid.
3. Staff #6 (Program Director) confirmed that no staff working during the inspection had a current certification in CPR and First Aid.
Plan of Correction: The facility responded: All facility staff are attending a CPR/First Aid certification course on 3/16/22. We will ensure that there are at least two staff in the building at all times children are present.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-F Description: Based on a review of the emergency drill log and interview, it was determined that the facility did not ensure that an annual lockdown drill is completed.
1. The emergency drill log did not have written documentation to demonstrate that an annual lockdown drill was completed during the 2021.
2. Staff #6 (Program Director) confirmed that there was no annual lockdown drill completed during the month of 2021.
Plan of Correction: The facility responded: Going forward we will ensure that a lockdown drill is is completed annually.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.